Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I changed the oil out because its just about that time...

And my magnetic oil drain plug had a good amount of metal shavings on the tip, about 1/2'' thick.

Also bought a oil catch can, got it all hooked up...

About 1 minute after driving with it on, my car started smoking horribly, it was pure white smoke. So I stopped and at idle it smoked, but at WOT it was thinner...

I took off the oil catch can and replaced it with the original tube that was there before and the smoke went away...

But I did noticed there was alot more of oil around the turbo after this happened.

So I am lost...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea... good sign that maybe the rings are falling apart?

And some more information, yes I know this is the breather valve, but its the only thing pre-bov that would cause the bov to spit out oil... cant be the turbo, no shaft play and its still fairly new, and no the oil catch can wasnt installed backwards.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
yeah, metal shavings no good...could be bearings starting to go south on you.

about the smoke, all I can think of is either the turbine seal on your turbo or since you added the restriction of the catch can there is added pressure on your valves causing your oil to flow passed the valve seals.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would start with a compression test as its easy and fast. That will tell you a little about the bottom end. Shavings are bad... That amount of shavings...very bad.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Compression test to get yourself a baseline on the condition of the engine.

Good Luck, from the amount of debris you have on your magnetic plug, your going to need it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Couldn't metal pieces in the oil be from the transmission that what happen to my bros neon his tranny went out and thet found pieces of it in the oil pan

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
except for the fact the engine oil and the transmission are completely separate.

compression test sounds like a decent idea.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Compression is 150 across all 4 cylinders.

And the metal wasnt 1/2'' thick like a piece of metal, all the tincy wincy metal fragments clunked together were 1/2'' thick, if that helps clear anything up. (I.E. normal engine wear)

There is a new sound now after testing the car on the road with a new catch can/filter setup (which failed also, it duplicated the exact same problem)... a loud hissing sound from the intake manifold area, checked all the tubing, I cant find where its coming from, but it doesnt sound good.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I would ditch the catch can setup, but that's just me :) You're not gaining anything performance wise.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Couldn't metal pieces in the oil be from the transmission that what happen to my bros neon his tranny went out and thet found pieces of it in the oil pan
FTW!!!

:jump::jump::jump::jump:

And the metal wasnt 1/2'' thick like a piece of metal, all the tincy wincy metal fragments clunked together were 1/2'' thick, if that helps clear anything up. (I.E. normal engine wear)
1/2 inch of metal isnt normal wear.

and the hissing is probably a vac leak.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well see you guys dont understand my problem. :(

There is oil (You know, that stuff that goes into the engine, should stay in the engine, lubricates the engine, isnt designed to come out an blow off valve) coming out of my BOV everytime I shift. :tdown:

Filtering the breather line will eliminate that problem. :tup:

But when I did such a thing, it revealed a greater problem(s). :shrug:

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
That doesn't sound right. Even when i had a bad head, It was never that bad. Just stick a open element filter on it and plug up the hole in the stock piping.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
your getting way too much blow by. either your rings are shot, or the walls are.

since your somewhat close i could sell you the shortblock (piston, block, oilpan)out of professorblazes car cheap if you wanted.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well see you guys dont understand my problem. :(

There is oil (You know, that stuff that goes into the engine, should stay in the engine, lubricates the engine, isnt designed to come out an blow off valve) coming out of my BOV everytime I shift. :tdown:

Filtering the breather line will eliminate that problem. :tup:

But when I did such a thing, it revealed a greater problem(s). :shrug:
I believe we do understand your problem. Your engine is in serious need of being thoroughly checked out/rebuilt.

We all have BPVs or BOVs and dont have that problem. You installing an oil catch can is just a cheap band aid masking a serious problem.

·
Registered
657 Posts
the catch can was my idea to see if the oil was from the blow by or from the turbo rant: every time some one asks a question its like a mob betting did anyone after the first poster even read his problem or did you just jump on the ban wagon the motor will be torn down and be rebuilt : done with rant and gotboostmx6gt if you do understand the problem why are you posting with nothing

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I believe we do understand your problem. Your engine is in serious need of being thoroughly checked out/rebuilt.

We all have BPVs or BOVs and dont have that problem. You installing an oil catch can is just a cheap band aid masking a serious problem.
RANT:

If you do understand it then what is wrong?

Why does the sunrise?

My point is, I know I have something wrong, but for the time being until I can get the parts, I wanted to temporarily fix the oil flying out my blow off valve in a fit of joy aimed in front of the car consuming my beautifully waxed body in a mess of oilyness.

When I tried to do so, the car said, NO, DO NOT FIX ME, then spit out tons of oil like it was angry.

As for:

I am well aware of that, I graduated high school, I know how a normal bpv should function, I know what I did was a temporary fix/solution but it obviously failed + revealed a bigger problem.

DONE with the rant, but I think my friend and I figured out whats wrong, and will be ripping the whole engine apart, I will post what we found once that is done.

And some random advice, dont buy cars out of town.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.