Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i need some advice. my friend has an rx7 that is starting to smoke out the tailpipes when starting the car. his ride is also a bit rough (engine-wise). does anyone have a clue how to fix the smoking?? thanks

brenda

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Xamboni said:
hi. i need some advice. my friend has an rx7 that is starting to smoke out the tailpipes when starting the car. his ride is also a bit rough (engine-wise). does anyone have a clue how to fix the smoking?? thanks

brenda
You don't say what year RX7 nor what color the smoke is, but smoking, if blue in color, is generally a sign of bad side-seals. Apex seals are also a problem on many RX7 rotary motors. A compression check is a good place to start.

If it's black smoke, your friend likely has fuel system issues (i.e. too rich...)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
black smoke

it's smokes black and real thick and he says it also does it a bit when he's just driving around or in idle at a stop lite...what can be done to fix/test this out???

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: black smoke

Xamboni said:
it's smokes black and real thick and he says it also does it a bit when he's just driving around or in idle at a stop lite...what can be done to fix/test this out???
Black smoke is a sign of too much fuel: the "black" is soot - carbon particles.

What year is the car? It makes a difference if it's fuel injected or carbureted. I can say that this should be fixed soon (as if you didn't know that already.) It's possible to "hydraulically" lock a rotary by have raw fuel leaking into the engine from a defective carburetor.

How are the plugs? Are both rotors plugs black and sooty or is just one side? Are the leading and trailing plugs both firing properly?

If it's fuel injected, when was the last time the O2 sensor was replaced?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts