Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just need to know how the Mx6 will handle in snow, Will i need to put all season tires on my car and what kind as i will be driving my car this winter. The tires that are on my car now realy suck and have to go ( Defenders) never heard of them.I would like a good performance tire that is also good in rain / snow.

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
I use blizzaks in the winter. No choice four season tires suck in the snow compared to these tires, but I guess that's why they are snow tires! =) With snow tires, the car still handles pretty good, but you still have to be careful, last year was my first year driving stick in the snow, and the first couple of times was really fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wouldnt know because i am parking my baby this weekend and drive my old 87' 626 for the winter. i will miss racing, but winter isnt really racing season

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
well do you get a lot of snow where you are? if it's only a little bit of snow, then you could be fine with all seasons. But if you get a lot of snow or ice...you'd be way better off with snow tires, and in my opinion, it's better to spend the extra money and make sure that you won't have a problem. But that's just my 2 cents. hth...

·
Registered
56 Posts
it works all right........i have cooper lifeliner II all season .....they work ok.....only problem ive had is in montana the low center of gravity and the snow dont work too well......also the snow collects around the front fenders, and im fearing one day when i hit a speed dip I will bottem the fenders and they will be taken off with the snow.....later
lemongopher

·
Registered
193 Posts
beware snow in ur rims

if you keep your stock rims (I have 94 LS rims), beware of now getting stuck around ur hub and calipers. I live in the city and the street plow buried me in. I dug out half way and spun the rest of the way out but when I got on the highway had to pull over and clear my wheels cause the snow made 'em shudder badly. I thought my wheel was going to come off at one point, but was okay when I cleared em.

hr

·
Registered
236 Posts
Snow and Ice

I got my MX-6 earlier this year (back in January) so I got a bit of experience driving in the snow already.. Here in Indiana we get nasty snows.. I hate salt..

Handling tips: Downshift and brake early.. Utilize 2nd gear take-offs.. never accelerate hard (or sometimes AT ALL) coming out of turns.. and remember, the snow offers better traction than the ice -- so aim for some nice fluffy snow!! :)

Chris

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but last winter was my first REAl winter with the MX6. I had it for the winter before last but it never really snowed. Anyway, I was EXTREMELY impressed with th eway it handeled in the snow, even when there was freshly packed snow on the road. The beauty about having an MTX is that you can always go to a lower gear and start off nce and slow with little to no wheel spin.

I remember I was at a stop sign one time and a Mustang GT stopped next to me. It was snowing like crazy and th eplows have not passed yet. We didn't wanna race or anything but as always, I started off th eline on second gear nice and slow. As we were going, I pulled ahead of the Mustang... doing like 10mph, then in my rearview mirror, I see him fishtailing his car and then he did a full 360 and finnaly ended up facing the incoming traffoc.

Front wheel drive cars handle great in the snow, if you have an MTX, even better, if you have a ATX, then just don't punch th epedal to the medal and you'll be fine. Switch to a lower gear on hils and you should be fine.

Ohh yeah, and I was my summer Z rated tires on and still I had no problems. This winter, the tires are a little worn on the inside due to my drastic drop so I'm gonna be extra careful and not speed around like a daemon like I usually do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your advice Mx6 ers, I have just put on a set of B F Goodrich Touring V rated tires that should give me some performance and some all season grip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts