Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Economy this, Economy that, etc etc blah blah blah....people are still buying car parts....just not as much.

My thoughts are that sites like Slowboy Racing started this same way and still do a majority of their sales as drop shippers anyways. Back in early 2000'ish SlowBoy existed primarily as DSM enthusiasts who started at the right time. I remember seeing thoughts of a website and people saying "SlowBoy racing WTF kind of name is that?" and today they're making millions in sales.- Not such a stupid name now right?

Now granted a lot of sites and cars don't seem the same as they used to but there are more cars to modify and more of the same kids growing up and not wanting to drive beaters. Eventually we will come to a day where we will start seeing more 2004 Corollas in the junk yard, just like seeing MX6 and Probes now. My point is that plenty of people are still buying and plenty of people are still modding.

Now, I've never done drop shipping but a co-worker of mine (female) makes a healthy living selling girly stuff and books all done by drop shipping.

What I am saying, as an enthusiast is that I keep up on a majority of whats going on in the car world today. I read magazines, I watch TV, I read books, etc etc blah blah blah....probably just like most of you guys (and feens boobs). I am referring to parts, companies- who makes what, is it good? etc etc

I am thinking and have been thinking for quite some time about doing this with car parts, not crap, not a bunch of Ching Chang Turbos, not a bunch of BOV's made in wherever.....just good car parts for a good price, with money left over for the ones doing research and putting forth the time and effort. I think that with the right people on board, this could go somewhere if enough people put forth effort, we could do it from home.- all of us.

Now, is it worth putting forth the effort? I think so, and I would want to just like on this site. Now the rest of you if you are saying "Fcuk yeah I would be done for this." you probably already know who you are- l33t hax0rs, computer techie radio guys, tatted up hoe pokers riding motorcyles, and the rest of you whom know me and I know you. I think this could work.

I also have some cash. Do you? How much? Think it's a gamble? Worth it? Can be done for relatively cheap? What do we need?- server wise, advertisement banners, copy/pasta webdsigns0rs-what would cost be? How? What, where, when, who? details.

Discuss.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Order Storm

The real question...would we be able to take just enough piece of teh "pie" to make it worth while?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
the thing with drop shipping is, as no money comes out of pocket, and you're not holding inventory... you can literally make a few dollars of the "pie" and its worthwhile in volume.

the key is getting hooked up with a good supplier. What you don't want is to hook up with a bad company like dropshipped tools - ebayers were making mint off that for a while, until it was realized both the service and the products were shit... i mean good for certain things on the cheap.. like vice grips, digital multimeters, etc... but for the more expensive stuff.. car jump starters, etc... pure shit, and they gave people problems with returns... taking down a bunch of ebay sellers reputations with them.

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
Can somebody explain to me the term "drop shipping"? You can say I have a lot of supplier acquaintances (sp??), and a lot of contacts on the auto parts/car audio industry, so this idea does entratains me a bit.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zach said:
Order StormThe real question...would we be able to take just enough piece of teh "pie" to make it worth while?
Well that too, but the way that I'm looking at it is how much time we all waste on this site ( other sites) anyways. Might as well get paid doing it. The thing is here, there are people on this site that I definately trust even though I dont know. There are some smart people on this site and I think that collectively, we could at least try. Im not saying a huge group of say 50 people and 5 n00bs taking out trash. Most of you already know who you are. Is it worth looking into though? eBay right now, sucks for pretty much everything. There was a time when it was saturated with pure crap, but not so much at the moment. Searching for "turbo" used to bring up pages and pages and pages. Now when you type in Garrett turbocharger for example, or more specifically GT series liek the GT30 GT40 GT42, etc etc....very few hits.

I think a lot of people pulled out simply because their product was crap and the consumer was catching wind of it. I think it's a perfect to jump on board and start something that could be pretty big with just a few wasted hours by all of us.....which we do anyways.

·
Premium Member
6,941 Posts
The company I work for has a guy whose job is strictly web marketing, and is in charge of all the ads we do. I could talk to him about what it takes.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
oh can I be the tatted up hoe pokers riding motorcyles?

My company has accounts with metra and momo if that helps :lol:

I also have unlimited bandwidth and storage with my host, I could just add another domain to the list and could deploy a shopping cart if needed.

In time we could also continue to add parts that I fab like the mazda parts I am working on.

I also work in marketing.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
slowboy racing is local to to me. I run one of their wrx gt30 turbos.

I've always been a bit curious about starting some sort on online business as well. I don't have much cash to spare but would be interested in helping out

·
Registered
784 Posts
Im in. I am big in grassroots networking and I am in school for digital advertising so I know we can come up with something. If we can get some good stuff for a good price I know of a bunch of guys that might already be interested. I would deff be willing to help out and invest in a company if you guys wanted to get one started up

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lambera said:
oh can I be the tatted up hoe pokers riding motorcyles?

My company has accounts with metra and momo if that helps :lol:

I also have unlimited bandwidth and storage with my host, I could just add another domain to the list and could deploy a shopping cart if needed.

In time we could also continue to add parts that I fab like the mazda parts I am working on.

I also work in marketing.
Yeah thats what I'm saying, doing something that is entirely possible and doing enough not to get in over your head at the same time. With Mazda branching out on their own again, it frees them up to come out with some pretty dope cars. Lexus isn't giving the LFA anymore and is discontinuing the SC430 in favor of the new 250 and 350 convertibles. With GM and all the American crap out of the way there is going to be a lot of room to buy 1) Other cars 2) Moar parts for said cars.

Asia is loving the US auto companies strapped like they are...and that means one thing...they can dominate the market like they want to. What does that mean? People will start buying parts again and in the coming years we will see an entirely different market and automobiles. A gamble sure, exciting? FCUK YEAH!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts