Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i got my struts today
big thanks to LX SS for getting them, and helping me to modify my struts today at his house...

well i got home at around 7:30, and didnt start on the car until 8:30 tonight
decided to only do one corner, as it was abit late, and didnt want the neighbours to hear the rattle gun and air compressor going off at night.

so here is the progress pics, i started on the passenger front.

here are the struts out of the box after Mark modified the strut lips for me

jacked the car up and put on stands, too the wheel off, and here is the stock setup

as you can see the rubber tubing was gone, can see the bumstops in this pic.
i undid the two 17mm bolts holding the brake assembly with a breaker bar as they were tight!

now to remove the top four bolts, i had to remove the airbox and associated tubing, so i could get to the bolts that was holding the black bracket as seen in the pic above two of the strut top bolts

so after i did the top four bolts, the whole assembly was loose, i had to move strut around to free it from the brake assembly.
and here is the whole front corner suspension

i then went to the springs, with spring compressors, and undid the top strut nut.
it was stuck after i removed teh nut, and i wriggled the top cover around to get it off. the thing jumped up about 30cm! im guessing the spring wasnt compressed enough on one side... it was definitely teh part i hated most.

heres the original bumpstop cut in half

here is a closeup of the lip that mark had modified to make the sleeves fit over it..
also the grub nuts

mock up of what teh final thing will look like once assembled

i also bought some camber bolts so i could adjust the camber better

almost in!

heres the camber bolts installed.
teh instruction said if i wanted more +camber, to make teh tab face the wheel, as seen here

here is the final product installed...
the cars still on stands, as i have to finish the rest of the corner, and ill get an idea of how low i set the coilovers

and here is my stock strut pressed all the way down!!
it doesnt even come up! lucky im in the progress of changing them all...

so, what do ya all reckon? :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
sweet job dude. almost exact same thing i did. but, i would suggest you cut your strut perches so the coilover perch will sit flat and it will allow you to go lower. if that worries you, you can always have someone beef up the welds left from the perches. but, ne way, sweet ass suspension!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Excellent work man! Tidy work with the writeup - perhaps you might consider throwing together a how-to when you're finished for the forums?

:tup: :tup:

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
That was pretty good :D

But how does it track and ride? Is it sketchy over corrogated bumps?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the kind words guys...
im still in the process of doing all corners.... jsut having a lunch break now with one strut left to do....

bluedraco: the struts are a brand called Ultima (australian made)

itguy32: LX SS was asking if i wanted to cut them off... but i wanted them on, so if i ever wanted to fit normal springs, i can do so without having to weld them back on.

jasonius: heh i was going to do a writeup, but everything i needed to know about how to remove the struts is actually in the FAQ section in the 1st gen forum

Cromax: havnt finished yet.. will see how it rides.
ive done the fronts, and lowered it down, its not low at all... i could fit 3 fingers in the arches easy.. might have to adjsut them some more!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah for 4....

well ive jsut finished.... and let me tell you it doesnt look low, but its LOW!
i did a coke can test, and my cat is about half way on the coke can!
ill post pics when im done with everything.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so i got started on teh car again this mornning...

did the fronts, and lowered the car down...
i didnt expect it to be this high.. but teh cars low... ill get to that later on down the post..

here are the pics!
heres a pic after i jacked the car down to see how high the cars sits, and how much room was in the guards

now i got started on the rears...
it was a pain in the arse, becasue i had to remove all the interior boot trim, and speaker mounts, so i could get to the top of the struts
here are the rear strut assembly

was the same to remove and dismantle them as the fronts.
here is the new strut with coilover

the rear assembly almost installed

all installed, and still jacked up

here is the aftermath of me removing all the trim and speaker mount so i could get to these three 14mm bolts holding the strut

ok, so after i installed both rear suspension, i put the car down to see how low the rears sat...
i set the coilovers to the lowest i could get them for the rears
here is the left rear

me sticking two fingers to show the gap

now to the coke can test! :p
the rear of the car clears it fine

the side of the car clears it fine...

the can in the middle where the exhaust is... no good.. GG

anyways here is how the car sat before the new suspension

and here is how it sits today

took it for a spin, and the ride is firm, but not gut wrenching as some...
the coilovers are abit noisy, but i expected that...
teh allighment is off, so its off to get an allignment tomorrow... lets just hope they know how to adjust the camber bolts!

not bad for a days work!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
good to hear, looks like a mean setup, i know coilovers are there for performance, but the car itself still looks mighty high, can you lower it a bit more?

well done tho m8

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the rears are at their lowest..
fronts i have about an inch more drop i can do..
but as seen in those pics, the exhaust is already too low as it is... this height is good enough for me...

took it for another drive... and its bumpy... especially on some of our shit roads
the front passenger always makes a clanging noise
will jack up again tomorrow.
have to adjust the camber bolts again

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
tomee said:
the rears are at their lowest..
fronts i have about an inch more drop i can do..
but as seen in those pics, the exhaust is already too low as it is... this height is good enough for me...

took it for another drive... and its bumpy... especially on some of our [shizzle] roads
the front passenger always makes a clanging noise
will jack up again tomorrow.
have to adjust the camber bolts again
pffft, stuff that. but the body of my car i personally think sits lower. and my exhaust is also illegal. but its by no means undriveable, and pfft if u get caught too low, with coilovers it take no time for it to be back at 4wd height.

im guessing the springs will also have a bit of time b4 they settle, which it may also drop a little more.
also with ur exhaust, is it possible to get that riased and put closer to the underbody. some exhaust shops etc dont mount them as close to the underbody as it could be while still being safe, non clangy and not going to hit the underbody from the mountings.
if u can get them to bring it up a little, thatd be good, coz for coilovers, it looks too high :p

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
[email protected] the coilover setup is a bit different, springs like these don't settle like normal springs, the way there wrapped around, closer together, smaller distances in gaps, different springs rates, all these change the characteristics compared to a normal spring. don't forget the lower it goes the more u reduce the shock travel, most of your more exotic / higher priced coilovers are about to actually raise and lower the strut height itself, whilst not reducing your strut travel.

also don't forget the 15's with the big sidewall, already he has had a big drop, also if the perches were cut off you could sit the spindle lower to get a lower ride height.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
ah ok, thanks for that info. so your suggesting cutting the perches, and rewelding them at a lower height.

wouldnt this mean they will be nowhere near captive at full stretch?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts