Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time this has happened to me, but it was bound to happen at some point (especially with a 15 year old car). Died on me coming home tonight from my old mans place, right on the highway stuck in traffic and heavy rain. First time I have ever had to get it towed! grrrr.

I think it might be the distributor/HEI mod.

Car died out on me while idling in traffic (RPM's started to jump all over the place, then died). Tried to start it again after but nothing. Car turns over but does not start.

I'll have to check for spark tomorrow, but I am almost sure it has to do with the disty. I've had this same thing happen before (minus the getting stuck in traffic/towed part), in which case I did the HEI mod - no external coil though. So I'm thinking either the ignitor I used for the HEI mod is dead OR the original coil in the disty is dead...in which case I'll do an external coil.

Anyone have any other input though? Could it be anything to do with the fuel system, or would the car have stalled out in a different way?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, so I checked a few things this morning before heading to work...

1. There IS spark
2. There IS fuel
3. There are NO codes

a bad crank sensor would throw out a code...correct? Is it possible the spark could be to weak? I was checking it in broad daylight, but even still the spark looked a little weak to me.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thoughts? anyone?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
same thing happened to me, and I swapped HEI modules and it worked just fine. I happened to have 4 laying around. This can happen if the module is not grounded properly; after some time it will get too hot and fail. The HEI mod is not the be-all, end-all of ignition problems; if another module doesn't work it's most likely the coil. I'm switching to an external coil before winter myself.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweet man, thanks for the input. I was going to start by replacing the HEI module (cheapest) to begin with and work things out from there. Glad to hear that you had a similar problem though. :tup:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
turns out the ignitor wasn't the problem...

on to the external coil next. hopefully that's the culprit because I'm getting sick of throwing money away on this car...

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
The last 2 weeks I got stranded a few times as my 626 broke down quite a bit. Odd thing is it ran great up untill it just died.

The wires on my crank sensor were rubbing on the pullys for sometime, anytime I hit a bump.. the wires shorted on the block and killed the motor. Never got codes, but the car would start and die almost instantly.. I thought it was a disty problem at first..
Fun times...

Start off by sourcing the problem, dont throw money at it replacing whatever to hope thats the problem. Fuel, Spark,Timeing, and sensors. check sensor connections. Ive had my vaf plug fall off many times, eventually glued it in. Same with the nuetral safety switch..If you have any spark, id assume you have spark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The last 2 weeks I got stranded a few times as my 626 broke down quite a bit. Odd thing is it ran great up untill it just died.

The wires on my crank sensor were rubbing on the pullys for sometime, anytime I hit a bump.. the wires shorted on the block and killed the motor. Never got codes, but the car would start and die almost instantly.. I thought it was a disty problem at first..
Fun times...

Start off by sourcing the problem, dont throw money at it replacing whatever to hope thats the problem. Fuel, Spark,Timeing, and sensors. check sensor connections. Ive had my vaf plug fall off many times, eventually glued it in. Same with the nuetral safety switch..If you have any spark, id assume you have spark.
Unplugged driver side locks and p windows. Now Mazda 6 won’t start

1 - 9 of 9 Posts