Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that whenever I have a problem, other people open up and seem to then share and say they had the same problem. Well thats nice to know after the fact... Anyhow, 2G clutch, but figured I'd get some thoughts around here.

I've had this clutch combo (ACT HD PP and Spec 2 disc) for about 5k miles or so.

A couple thousand miles ago, I was like driving along, push in the clutch, pedal stays on the floor. Pop the hood to see a burst clutch line. Replaced it, bled it, all is fine and back to normal.

I just finished a new turbo kit and go out driving. The gears progressively get harder to shift into, like the clutch isnt disengaging all the way. With the car off, tranny shifts fine. So, I grab some wrenches and screw the rod in on the pedal a few turns. Now its good again. Drive 5 miles, gets stiff again. I repeat, and its fine. I did this until finally I hear a pop and the clutch wont disengage at all. I go under the hood, slave cylinder is pushed so far out, the plunger rod fell out.

So, basically the clutch fork is depressed all the way and the clutch wont disengage.

Its one of 2 problems here. Either the clutch fork is bent, or the pressure plate is somehow trashed. I have never heard of something like this happening. Any insight?

Either way I have to pull the tranny.... these [fizzle]in cars are worse than DSMs if you have any sort of power. Its pathetic.

I thought ACT was "the best?"

I need something to take 500 whp without slipping or busting trannies. I had a spec 2 and when I had a measly 300 hp it slipped. This one took about 400 hp, now this. WTF. What now?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clamping force of the ACT HD is 1700 lbs.

Sick, it is a segmented kevlar. Im unsure of the manufacturer, but it is not an organic OE style. Heres a pic.

I really liked the engagement and feel of this clutch. It could chirp 3rd, but never broke any driveline parts.
The 2G clutch isnt near as good as the 1G GT :( its smaller and has a lighter plate load.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tp anyone wondering, I pulled the tranny and found what broke.

Ripped the clutch fork pivot ball in half. There's a good one next to it. Luckily I have 2 spare trannies and I just nabbed one off a spare. Kinda pisses me off I had to remove the entire turbo kit and tranny for something as retarded as this.

I guess thats a side effect of too much hard shifting and the extreme force of the ACT plate.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
notwithstanding

rebel2k4 said:
Ripped the clutch fork pivot ball in half.
Geez, that's a first.

I was betting on a bent fork, FWIW.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I run an ACT xtreme pressure plate with the 6-puck non-sprung hub.I driveit to work every day. No problems. The pressue plate was $280. Absolutely no slip. no problems with extra foot pressure (even though it feels like like the clutch is for a semi).

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I have a Stage 1....
No slipping (because my car is slow) and so far no problems. Besides going through master cyl and slave cyl, and thats because theyre remans.

Brandon that clutch seems a little extreme. Hahaha, or maybe its the driver??
You should be happy it wasnt the transmission.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mazda_MX6_Turbo said:
so no more trash talk about the ACT?? :lol:
Ehhh, never really trash talked the act. But, I'm willing to bet that it is what caused that broken pivot ball.

Too much hard shifting I suppose. I'll admit, this tranny and clutch have seen a lot of that.

I am glad the tranny didnt break, but it wouldnt have been any more work if it did. I still had to pull the bastard out.....

Took me and a friend 2 hrs to get the clutch and turbo kit out, then 4 hrs to get most of it back in. Needless to say, its still on jackstands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts