Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a spare heatshield to have it ceramic coated. You know the one that covers the header and also the small turbo one. Cant find em at the yards here.
I know it belongs it the WTB section but i need some fast

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Good luck finding one that hasn't cracked at the #1 exhaust port bolt. They're also flexible and paying an expensive price for genuine ceramic coating to crack and fall off isn't really all that good of a trade-off. Try Duplicolor 1600 degree with ceramic coating. Clean everything and apply high temp primer as well. Mine has been on for over a year with no cracks, no flakes whatsoever. Only cost $12.00 for two cans too.

I have both sheilds in my garage.

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
grangalan said:
okay next question, who has the heatshields... ;)
Damian was trying to help you. The heatshield would be a PITA to ship. Did you try www.mazdarecycling.com? They have two GTs 03-296 and 03-268.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heh, wasnt being a dick towards him (hell i even gave him karma). But since he answered my question with a better solution i decided i no longer need it coated since ill do it myself.

But how would it be a pain to ship it, Box, tape, postage hehe. It is somewhat oddly shaped but not to the degree that ill need a human sized box?.

Ill check out that site thanks

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dont want new, ;) lowest price i can find. No yard around here has GT's so i need something shipped, box shouldnt be any bigger than a computer tower. If anyone has em, i can pay for it now if the price is reasonable, i just dont wanna have to pull mine off (im missing the bigger heat shield) i got a nice little turbo upgrade via PnP thru the entire hot side of the engine down all the into a 2.5" exhaust and i want to make the "under the hood" look clean

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I can tell you that pretty much any heatshield that is 15 years used is going to be beat up and certainly won't "make the under the hood look clean." I remember I was pleasantly surprised how nice a brand new stock heatshield looked under the hood. Believe it or not they were actually shiny at one time.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
By the time you paid for shipping, paid for the heat shields, paid to send your shields out for ceramic coating, paid for the price of ceramic coating, paid for return shipping, you could have bought brand new heat shields.

If you take your heat shields off at night clean them then, then spray paint them to sit over night and install int he morning, you can have a quality paint job for $12. As said, Duplicolor high temp primer costs $6.00 and the 1600 high temp with ceramic costs $6.00 as well. The important part is the prep work ie: sanding rust off, cleaning grease and dirt, giving yourself a good surface to work with. My heat shields have been done for a couple years and nothing has cracked or flaked off.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Thats if you can part with having your car for a week AND if you wanna pull everything apart and pray you dont break or anything strip anything pulling the turbo off the manifold. Heat shields are much friendlier to work with.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
it does not follow

GibsonSLNGR said:
Wouldnt it behoove you to get the manifold ceramic coated. Then no heat shield is needed.:shrug:
Non sequitur.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well im going with your option six, but screw sanding when i have a sandblasting cabinet ;) Once i got enough coats on and its dry im gonna cure it in the oven for a few hours at 300deg f . Just need a cheap heatshield :)

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
grangalan said:
Well im going with your option six, but screw sanding when i have a sandblasting cabinet ;) Once i got enough coats on and its dry im gonna cure it in the oven for a few hours at 300deg f . Just need a cheap heatshield :)
I've got a better option for ya. When it isn't tacky to the touch, install it and go for a drive without worrying about it. It'll stink like burning chemicals for a few days but at least it's in your engine bay rather than your wifes, girlfriends, mothers, or boyfriends? kitchen stove.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My own place :) but i'd rather cure it the proper way at lower temps, the oven im using is in my storage shed, not sure what its called here but its similar to a mini kiln which i can set to 300f for a few hours. Thanks for all the advice, so..whos got a heatshield hehehe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.