Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 LX and I'm hoping to fix it up, But my problem is that I havent seen any after market parts around. I have an AT and i was thinking about dropping a 5 speed into it, has anyone ever done this. Also what are some mods that can I can really get some HP from? I've read the tread on dropping a turbo in an NA engine and you guys pretty much scared me away from that idea partly because of the $$$$ and because I don't want to werck my engine I like it working. Any help would be great!!!

Pyro
89 LX bare bones

·
Registered
449 Posts
Aftermarket parts

Off the top of my head, there are two things you can do.

1. Pacesetter catback exhaust
2. Air Filter

there are some engine mods you can do and you'll find them at corksport.com. You'll find that most are for the turbo cars however.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There a re a few. Like Hurddawg said, Cat Back, and a intake are a start. Then yiu can still do all the appearance mods. lowering springs, that kind of stuff. There is some suspension stuff you can do too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an intake from MMRUSA.com, its generic (pretty cheap at $60) and I don't recommmend it because the adapter is shite...I had to machine it to allow a bolt to fit, force the filter onto the adapter coz they don't match in size etc...all in all I spent 4 hours on a job that should've taken 45 minutes at most. But it performs well and in that respect I'm happy with it...if you don't mind taking some time to put it in. As for exhaust, I wouldn't go for the Pacesetter, I had one on my '89 Supra and it gets pretty ugly really soon (rust, decolorization etc). I suggest (and I hope to do this once I have the cash) you get a good stainless steel muffler, say the APEXi Dunk universal muffler for N/A engines, buy mandrel bent piping from JCWhitney.com (either alumizined or polished stainless steel) and get your neighborhood muffler shop to piece it together...I'm thinking it won't be more that $300 for a kickass exhaust for a non-turbo engine. The mufflers go for about $200 and you can get the piping for $60-70. Oh, and maybe get a high-flow catalytic converter from JCWhitney too, that should help a lot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys hopfully I'll bust out some hours over at Mc D's and start on my upgrades. Thanks for the help guys. By the way no one commented on dropping a 5 speed into a car with an AT

Jason (Pyro)
89 LX

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
You can convert the ATX to the 5spd. It's been done before. Just realize it's a lot of work. The parts you'll need from the "donor" car is:

-Transmission (duh)
-Flywheel
-Clutch slave cyl, master cyl, hydraulic lines and pedal assembly
-Brake pedal
-halfshafts
-shifter, shift linkage
-clutch pedals switch (likely will come with clutch pedal assembly)

I'm not sure whether or not you'll need tranny mounts or not. Most of the stuff will bolt in. From what i've heard the pedal assembly is a bit of a pain in the ass to fit. Also, you'll have to figure out a way to get the reverse light switch, neutral switch and clutch switches to work. Especially if you want your cruise control to keep working.

Your best bet is to buy a parts car. That way if you come across something that you need. You'll already have it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts