Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi again members,

I posted this on Saturday July 13th elsewhere.

Coming back from swimming/workout in Walton yesterday afternoon, I was in a long queue of cars and an old boy in his Range Rover (last time in Oct 2009 it was a Land Rover) with his wife who were behind me, drove into the rear of the Mazda .... :eek:

See 2009 incident. It also logs the reprayed new metal roof ( the old one had the usual rust problems ) roof panel, 'J' spec brake spoilerlight replacing the wrecked 'E' spec original and the fact that they resprayed the whole car up to the front wings and bonnet. BaBaKa - Oct 17th 09 Photos by PaulaHam | Photobucket

This is the Oct 2009 accident

The damage is less than before but it's still about £1000-£1500, I reckon.

Just as well I have a £3500 agreed value now. I was very lucky last time to get it done with no agreed value (over £2000 repair cost but Wedd & White's accessor was very good in giving the repair go-ahead because of my car's condition).

My insurance company is already dealing with it and they will claim off his insurers because it was his fault. I was on the phone to them trying to get through for over 2 hours last night. They had many calls being a Friday night with people having accidents going away for the weekend or vacation.

They said I should get back the £100 excess.

The Range Rover guy was on the way back from the Hampton Court Flower Show and looking back maybe he had a drink or two. We swopped insurance companies which if nobody is injured conforms with the law.

Wish I had called the police with the benefit of hindsight because he was eager to get away. He lives in the Fareham area (North Gates). But it was very hot and other drivers were getting irate as we were in a single lane road (A3050) and his wife was angry with him too.

Anyway I called the couple last evening and told them that I had reported the accident to my insurers and the damage that I discovered when I arrived home.

At the time of the accident, I said that damage to bumper support bars and back panels usually occurs in this type of accident and is hidden. He understood that.

I have nominated Wedd & White of New Malden Wedd and WhiteAccident Repair & Service Centre who repaired the car last time (Oct 2009) and just as well they are on the list of my insurance company's authorised coachbuilders. They do a great job and offer a 3 year warranty on their work. I had to have some work done after 2009 when I had some paint bubbling issues, almost certainly due to dampness around some of the primer before the final paint and lacquer was applied

So I drove over there this morning and the guy (who used to work for a Mazda dealer ) said that the MX-6/626 with our engine is one of the best cars Mazda have ever made (300,000 miles is not uncommon if the oil is regularly changed.)

I won't repeat what he said about the RX-8 engine .... :p He likes the Probe too ( had to say that didn't I .... ;);) )

I will have a hire car supplied which is good and saves taxing the Metro.

Beginning to wonder if I need all the hassle of having such nice cars ... :(

I might well buy an old banger for a £100 or so as a local runaround (even if it only lasts a year or two and like my Richard has) cos I am sick and tired of all the idiots on the roads.

The trouble with cars like Range Rovers is that the drivers look over the top of lower cars like mine and don't see you when they are close behind and then it's too late.

G'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyway the bootlid is repairable.

He looked underneath and the bumper support bar is bent but not sure about the back panel.

At least (like last time) the rear quarter panels are unscathed.

The left rear lights assembly is scratched as well as the top of the plastic bumper which might need replacing unless it springs out as it's a bit distorted on the left. It will certainly need repainting.

Anyway after I drove back home, I went to my club and treated myself to a good traditional English Breakfast with copious amounts of tea, toast and marmalade.

I feel far less stressed now and in the knowledge that BaBaKa will be back to normal very soon ... :D

I will be watching these Range Rover type cars like a hawk in the future though.

Finally the guy at Wedd & White who is a classic car enthusiast and owns a '58 Cadillac convertible which is insured for well over £20K has given me the name of a guy who is treated like God by Insurance firms when he values cars and they take his valuation each and every time. He thinks that both my Mazda MX-6 and Rover Metro GTi maybe undervalued now, so I have already left a message at this guy's office to call me.

I will let you all know what he says.

Anyway I will upload the fotos later and now I am going to relax on my patio in the sun. I might even have a glass of beer or two ... :tup:

Photos to follow soon.

PS. As I was pulling into my drive, an a*s*h*l* in a Range Rover swerved around me going too fast. I hate these types with a vengeance because they drive around thinking they rule and own the road as well as believing they are invulnerable .... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
On Monday July 15th, I said:

The man driving the Range Rover has admitted full responsibility (you never know - he might have said that I reversed into him !! ) and Admiral (his insurance company) called me earlier and wanted to deal with the claim.

I told them my insurance firm is already handling it and they said 'Fine'.

No problems getting my £100 Excess back then ... :D

I am waiting for a call from Wedd & Whites right now.

Want to get it in by Wednesday latest.

Here's the 2009 thread of mine when the Land Rover punted poor BaBaKa ... :(

http://www.mx6oc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=946

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
On Tuesday July 16th I said:

Spoke to Insurance Company just now -Equity Red Star (part of Liverpool Victoria) and they faxed details to Wedd & Whites yesterday asking for images & estimate.

Then talked to Wedd & White and estimate plus images will be sent to insurers this afternoon.

They will also call me telling me how much ... :eek:

So all is in place paperworkwise and due to my commitments this week, will take BaBaKa in for repair early next week.

Hopefully the weather will hold out, mind you I don't envy anybody panel beating in this heat.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
On Thursday July 18th, I posted:

I called my insurers this afternoon and the total cost to bring her back to her previous wonderful condition is £1365.00.

So I wasn't far out in my guesstimate of £1000 to £1500 !!!

So just proves that our cars have to be valued far higher than book.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
On Friday July 19th, I said:

I had a call around midday from the coachbuilders saying that Equity Red Star had called them to say that they will not be authorising the repair and will be writing my car off.

'What' I said " Absolute b**l**k* !!!"

So I called Peter James my insurance brokers and they went mad.

They then called Equity and told them I have a Statement of Insurance which says Valuation £3500 and agreed with the word 'Yes'.

At 4.08pm today Equity Red Star called Wedd & White the coachbuilders and said go ahead with the repair.

To say the least I am not impressed with Equity Red Star's service, they have never called me to update me on the situation and I have had to call them. On Monday Peter James himself is going to look into this matter as they don't want unhappy clients.

These people take your money quickly enough, don't they.

Also I did not need the stress today and being 68 now, who needs this type of thing ... :mad:

The Range Rovers driver's insurance company Admiral on the other hand have been bombarding with me letters for them to deal with my claim but as Peter James said " I have done the correct thing by using my company because of the agreed value".

However before renewal this autumn, Peter James is going to look around some of the other insurance companies that they deal with and also we are looking to up the Mazda's value because £3500 was agreed nearly 4 years ago.

I can now enjoy my weekend in the knowledge that my car will be repaired and I will have use of a courtesy car supplied by Wedd & White.

But as I agreed with Richard last Friday, the car is only a bit of metal at the end of the day but a treasured one and why not. Also nobody died. Put's it all into perspective, doesn't it ... :)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
On Tuesday July 23rd I said:

Dropped the Mazda in yesterday ... :)

I rather like the Pug 107( Aygo ), funny getting the hang of the 3 cylinder engine as you have to rev it quite high when setting off.

Big storms brewing here ... :eek:

PS. They are going to fit the replacement boot lid struts that I had in stock in the boot ...:jump: (another job that needed doing) ... :)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
On Wednesday July 24th, I posted:

At lunchtime, I went over to Wedd & Whites to see how they are getting on. They are making good progress ... :D

The nearside rear lamp cluster and bootlid have been realigned and primer applied to the bootlid where the dents were pulled out.

The rear bumper support bar has still to be straightened out but the back panel has already been pulled out. The damage to the panel was minimal and they will repaint and re-waxoyl it together with the support bar.

They found a crack in the rear bumper so that will have to be replaced and from last time, I know they are not cheap - over £300 if I remember correctly. So this and the cracked nearside rear lamp cluster are on back-order from Mazda.

Here are the fotos I took ( today's are at the end of the slideshow).

BaBaKa - July 12th 2013 Slideshow by PaulaHam | Photobucket

They assured me that she will be as good as new once again ... :cool:

Had to put these in.

Wedd & White are really taking care of the car ... :D

and this does not bode well for the future of our cars ... :(

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
On Thursday July 25th I said:

Just a thought and a friend of mine thinks the same ... :idea:

Noble Green (Dark Blue in many lights) is not the safest colour and maybe if the colour was white, silver or red, then the Range Rover driver might have seen me.

And nope, I am not getting her resprayed ... :lol:

and then I had a reply saying:

Hi Paula,

They do say darker coloured cars are more likely to be hit as they fail to stand out against the background of the road, scenery and other traffic. Bright orange or white seems to be a better choice.

There is a article in the Daily Mail about this:

Black cars most likely to be involved in accidents | Mail Online

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
On Friday July 26th, I wrote:

And this brings it up to date.

Four years ago the delivery on a new rear bumper from Mazda was pretty extensive and now it will take to October ... :eek: The price new is £356.00 !!!!

I managed to find a silver one back then at a breakers.

So yours truly searched the internet once again and found another secondhand one in Birmingham for £72.00 all in ... :D

MAZDA MX-6 V6 COUPE. Year: 1997 Plate: R****** 2497CC Engine with a 5 SPEED
MANUAL Gearbox. PETROL. COUPE in GREEN

1) REAR BUMPER £50.00. 3 Months Gte. (Used)

Delivery: £10.00
VAT: £12.00

Total: £72.00 (inc VAT & Delivery)

To order/for more info, call FOREIGN CAR SPARES LTD on 01213 278214

So this could be a useful link to members in the future, I found them very easy and efficient to deal with.

FCS- Japanese car parts, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Mitsubishi

It will be delivered to the bodyshop by next Wednesday which is great.

And I have saved the insurance firms a lot of bread.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
If only they would give you the difference for your effort to find a replacement. Hope repairs go smoothly and you have it back soon .

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks hun ...:)

I might suggest that ... ;) not sure if I will get anywhere though ... :(

If only they would give you the difference for your effort to find a replacement. Hope repairs go smoothly and you have it back soon .

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of my friends on the UK Ford Probe Owner's Club forum said " Get the bodyshop to remove the Land Rover/Range Rover magnet " ... :lol::lol:

·
Super Moderator
1,082 Posts
Hi Paula. OMG. Not much luck with the rear of babaka. Can't believe you've been hit again. F'n hate those Range Rovers, Land Rovers, Nissan Cashcows and alike.

However. Try driving out the body shop with a new respray and 2mins down the road you get thumped from behind by a female who said, and I swear this is true, "it's my husband's car and I couldn't find the brake pedal" EH!? lmao.

Elmer

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hiya Mark,

Good to back on here but hope that this event will not repeat itself again.

Yep some owners drive like idiots and seem to have no respect for other road users, cyclists, pedestrians and so on.

I remember your accident well ... :(

Can't believe what she said - "Yes I can" ... ::eek:

Hi Paula. OMG. Not much luck with the rear of babaka. Can't believe you've been hit again. F'n hate those Range Rovers, Land Rovers, Nissan Cashcows and alike.

However. Try driving out the body shop with a new respray and 2mins down the road you get thumped from behind by a female who said, and I swear this is true, "it's my husband's car and I couldn't find the brake pedal" EH!? lmao.

Elmer

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
On Saturday, here's what happened:

Typical eh?

The breakers supplying my MX-6 rear bumper sat on the bodyshop's cheque since Tuesday and was not even banked when I called on Thursday. I said "What" !!!! They apologised profusely and said that the bumper should arrive by Tuesday next week, nearly a week late ... G'rrrrrrrrrrr !!!!

When it was ordered they said that it should be delivered by this Thursday latest.

No wonder our insurance premiums are so dear. There is now going to be an extra week's hire on the loan car that will have to be paid for by the insurers. The bodyshop said that they get this all the time and their customers think that it is them that are taking their time doing repairs when it's mostly not their fault. Also they want my car out of the way so they can work on another and there is a risk of my car being damaged in a workshop environment.

So it looks like it will be a month since the accident before I get BaBaKa back.

Providing it looks fine then 'C'est la vie' !!! :rolleyes:

Then this morning:

Called the breakers today, they gave me a TNT tracking number and it does not exist.

So if they can't provide me with an answer my midday today, I am going to advise the bodyshop to stop the cheque.

They can put the old bumper back on and wait for a new one from Mazda.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Called the breakers just after lunch and I quote what TNT (the courier) is supposed to have said to them.

"We don't understand it, can't trace the number either or if it's even been collected."

You would have thought that a) the breakers would have known if the item had been collected last Friday and b) TNT would have a tracking number by now.

So the bloke at the breakers then said we have two MX-6 rear bumpers here and I will send you the best one today with it's 3 month guarantee for delivery Tuesday, so give us a call around 5.30pm for a TNT tracking number.

So someone has been giving me the run around and telling porky pies.

I must say I am not that impressed with most of the breaker's staff.

It's all really depressing really.

So I called later this afternoon and was told that the bumper went out today (from Birmingham) and they are going to call me before close of business with the tracking number.

We shall see.

I just get tired of chasing people like this when they are not doing the job they are supposed to do.

In 2009, when I ordered the rear bumper after that shunt, it arrived in a few days without any of this nonsense.

Nobody called me back so once again I called and they gave me the tracking number, the same one they gave me this morning.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At last ... :tup:

TNT definitely have my bumper, lets hope that it's a good one.

Pick up date 05 Aug 2013
Delivery service EXPRESS
Destination NEW MALDEN
Date Time Location Status
05 Aug 2013 20:12:23 BIRMINGHAM Shipment received at origin depot.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's nearly there ... :)

Consignment Reference Destination Pickup Date Status
43680404 41725 NEW MALDEN 05 Aug 2013 Out for delivery between the hours of 09:00 - 18:00

43680404 Details
Reference 41725
Pick up date 05 Aug 2013
Delivery service EXPRESS
Destination NEW MALDEN
Estimated delivery date 06 Aug 2013 Please note that the date specified is an estimated delivery date and is subject to change.

Date Time Location Status
06 Aug 2013 07:48:52 BYFLEET Out for delivery.
06 Aug 2013 05:21:27 BYFLEET Shipment received at destination depot.
05 Aug 2013 20:12:23 BIRMINGHAM Shipment received at origin depot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Paula
glad to hear your replacement bumper is on route and should arrive some time today.
So hopefully they will get it repaired and your have your car back soon.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts