Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the summer has ended, and the winter is coming. During this time i will be going to school, working part time if im lucky, and studying/training for a franchise manager position starting in may. I have already signed the contract so i can officially say i own a business!! lol

I will be operating a painting business. And when i say painting, i mean house painting, exterior/interior...everything.

Im obviously not going to use my 6 as a vehicle to transport the gear around in, since i will not put a roof rack on it.

I need some suggestions for vehicles. My area is quite large, so gas mileage is very important, besides..the average manager puts about 30-40 thousand km on the work vehicle in 4-5 months...

I need something that can haul around at most 7-8 ladders. Usually on average there will only be 3-4 ladders... 3-way, step ladder, a 24 foot, and a 32 foot...rarely use a 36-40 foot. On top of this, i need something that has enough room inside the vehicle to transport paint cans, extension poles, and crew kits (measues about 2.5 feet high, 2.5 feet wide, and about 3.5 feet long) passengers arent a major issue with this, however i may have to pick up my workers now and then..

My question to you guys:
What vehicle do you guys suggest? Pick-up, van, SUV, jeep, wagon?

Im leaning toward the dodge caravan route simply because they have enough power to haul things, adjustability with seats, and usually have roof racks. And gas mileage isn't toooo bad... and i have seen some vans for sale around here with 130K km on them for about 5 grand canadian, which is the price range i am looking for...

Anyways...any suggestions are appreciated, this vehicle will be strictly for work, and probably used when the 6 is being worked on :D

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what years do you guys have and how much did it cost you to buy? i think the van route is very tempting...so many of them are in my price range

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I'd go with a van also. But instead, like an E150 type of van. I work on 4 of them, coincidentally also for a local painting company that brings all their vehicles to my shop. One of them has like 220k on it and runs amazingly! They can run if they're taken care of. Although, individual coils for each cylinder can get expensive, look for a van with wires!

-Tyler

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
my family has owned like 10 astro vans cuz my dad owns a carpet cleaning business

last one we bought was a 1997 cargo van with ladder racks on top and shelves all on the inside... 160,000 miles and it was only $1500. Its got a clogged fuel filter and a bad o2 sensor and that makes it get really good gas mileage. In town is about 20mpg... haha so we dont bother to get those things fixed.

one before that we got 3 years ago for $3000 at a state auction. 1998 with 92,000 miles. now it has 155,000 miles and the most expensive thing ever done do it was new tires... and just the other day i was realizing we havent even had to change the headlights. its just one step up from the cargo van, but it rides a lot nicer and feels a lot smoother.

i'd say go pick one up... they're extremely cheap and once you get one you find it to be worth moer than you bought it for.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
buy a probe, roof racks should be standard on them, :lol: buy a 1/4 tonne and buy a box cover thing, it'd work well and wouldn't be too bad on gas!!!!

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Buy a beater 1st gener.. why not? good and gas.. a blast to drive..

J

·
0 Posts
1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, with a lumber rack for the ladders.

That is, if you want to look professional.

All the storage you need, looks good, and you can tow anything you might need (drywall mud mixer etc?)

$5k will get you this:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Jon, My cousin owns a paint and glass shop, and those are the exact vehicles they use! They own 5 of f150's, just like that(red and everything) and 1 has 250k miles, and still runs strong.

I'd say stick with an older f150!

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Yeah...probably an F150 would do you good. Im using an '88 Ranger for my work truck. Hauls everything I need...tho I dont have/use as many ladders as you probably do/will, but when I have to use my 22' extension ladder, I throw it in the bed and have it hang out the rear -with a flag on it. Works for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts