Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need ice tires this winter and i have a question. Will 205/60's fit well?

Will they rub?
Will they be okay if snow builds up in there?
What should I be aware of if i do this?
Is their another way?

You see 205/55 ice tires are REALLY expensive well 205/60's are relatively cheap. I need the cheap ones and not the expensive ones. So can anyone out there tell me (For sure) what the prognosis is?

- I hate it when people ask dumb tire size questions too, cut me a break just this once everyone =).

Thanks in advance,
Claeren.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If your car is still at the stock ride height, 205/60s will fit. The dealer I bought my car from put 205/60s on it. I just replaced them (After 72000 miles) with Bridgestone 205/55's.

The 60 series are a bit taller and your speedometer will be a tad off but those are the only issues that I am aware of.

Tyson

·
Registered
511 Posts
shouldn't have a prob fitting and they'll raise the car a little bit which will help even more in the snow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
205/55 ice tires are REALLY expensive well 205/60's are relatively cheap
If you're really worried about price of ice/winter tires, 195/60-15 are what i use. They should be less expensive and plus with a narrower tire you will slice through the snow instead of floating on top of it.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm not really worried about the snow. Around here it's the ice that sucks.

We do get snow, but by Canadian standards it's not much, plus with all of our winter chinooks (A warm air mass, and a high, single arch of cloud unique to southern Alberta and New Zealand) it usually melts within a week, that's the problem. All that water turns to ice when the chinook disapates, leaving me to do 360's on cold winter mornings. So the wider tire is better for me. What is interesting to me though is that you can put a 195 on the rim. Wouldn't it be to thin? I can understand a change in height but not in width??

Another question is, the bigger tire makes my speedometer slower then i'm actually going right?

Next question: Why would lowering my car have anything to do with it? It's the plate on the bottom of the strut that i am worried about and wouldn't springs just lower the body and leave the strut plate where it is? I suppose if one were to REALLY lower there car then there would be a problem but then tires would be the least of my winter worries.

Lastly, does anyone have a rough idea how much studs cost and how long they last? I also heard about this thing where they slice your tire like a thousand times and all those wedges help grip the road, i think it was at www.Kaltire.ca that i saw it (could be wrong).

Thanks a lot!
Hope no ones over whelmed...
=)
Claeren.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts