Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I own a 93 silver MX6. Along with a few minor problems (already listed in the forum) my antenna does not work right. A few weeks ago, I went to turn on the radio and the antenna sticks, makes loud noises when trying to come out, and doesn't extend all the way. Anyone out there know what's wrong, how much $$$ it would cost to fix, or if there is an inexpensive way to replace the antenna itself?

·
Registered
193 Posts
sounds like your power antenna motor is working but the mast is broken. do a search for power antenna and you should be able to find a thread that tells you how to change it. The mast only goes for like 25 or 30 dollars at the dealer but if you have them fix it, they'll change the motor and all for like $150 or something like that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The plastic piece inside your mast is broken. I had the same thing to happen to me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
These antenna motors are terrible, I have a 96 MX-6 LS and I have replaced it twice. On my 88 GT the motor also broke so if it happens again I am just going to listen to CDs only

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've also had problem with my antenna. About a year ago the plastic geared peice on the mast broke and I fixed it with a new mast. Two weeks ago the motor on the antenna started acting up and wouldn't turn off, but would sit and grind it's gears.

About $40 dollars and a universal antenna (Harada MX24) and it's working just fine again. It's a pretty easy install.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a similar thing happen to me. Im guessing its a matter of time before your antenna wont extend at all. Good news is its easy and cheap to fix. Its a little plastic inside the antenna motor.

If my memory serves me right, you have to open the motor (2 screws) and pull out the broken plastic, then replace it with a new one from a mazda dealer.

The plastic costs like 40$ CDN, and the guy at the dealership should explain exactly how to get it replaced. Its 30 mins tops to fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts