Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the past 2-3 weeks my I4 93 mx6 atx with 110,000 miles has been actin up me and has been pissen me off cause i cant find the fuccen problem.and ive tried everything. ive changen my spark plugs, wires,rotor,fuel filter,valve cover gasket, air filter, and kept up on all my oil changes. now my problem is that when im driving or at a stop light in gear it sputters and it feels like its going to die out at the stop light. and also when i snap the throttle it sputters a little then seems to catch but im thinking its transaxle, and im not sure. Ive talked to me autoshop teacher and he said its my wires when under load like snaping the throttle it arcs some where. but ive tested it in the dark, ohmeter tested it, and grounded screwdriver tesed it. and still nuthing. please help me????

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im no expert but it sounds like a vacuum problem.

Check your throttle body intake boot for cracks. Check your vacuum hoses for cracks too. They all should be nice and soft , any sign of old age brittleness and u gotta replace.

Best of luck
Gullwing

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
does it sputter when you are merely sitting at a light, or when you are turning?

If it is just when you are sitting there, then you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Check ALL vacuum hoses.

If it is when you turn, there is a small valve that sits inside the the block that is responsible for idle control when the power sterring rack is under load. As you turn your wheel, the rpms should stay constant, but if this vavle is going bad (over $1000 to fix b/c of labor) then your car will sputter or even die after some time as you take turns and don't keep the rpms up manually with your foot.

The crappy part of the second option is there is no way to tell if the valve is going bad until you crack open the block, at which point you are better off just replacing it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i tried checken my codes and checking all my vacuum lines. and i didnt find a thing. but basicaly when im on the freeway for about 30min and then stop at a light idle-ing it just sputters like crazy and seems like its about to die out but doesnt. but what i dont have is a vacuum tester so i dont know.oh ya and when i move the wheel it doesnt do anything. just when i snap the throttle or idle-ing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When i first bought my mazda i had a similar problem. The idle control was malfunctioning. The piece costs about forty bucks to purchase and just about anyone can install it. Every time i stopped i lost rpms and it tried to die. I would try a local mechanic that you trust. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
same thing

Hey i had the same thing happen to me for a little while
check all the electrical wires and make sure there conected good to your battery tahts what was doing it for me, good luck

G

·
Sputtering?

I had the same problem when I first bought my 94 Mx6. Turned out to be leaking oil into my spark plug wells due to dried out seals under the vavle covers, and in turn, shorted out my coil...which of course is built in to the distributor so I had to replace the whole thing. Hope this helps..Chad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts