Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was wondering if anyone knows any info on these turbos (compressor a/r's). It's a Garrett AiResearch Diesel turbo. It's blue and the part number is G84698C91; model number is T04B25. My friend's dad just handed it to me and said "here, have this" and I was in shock. It's a bigger turbo, and is there a lot of customizing involved in this (worth the installation?) Sorry for all these turbo posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
To be honest you should really start posting this stuff in the "FI" forum.
As far as the turbo is concerned, I believe diesel turbos have a huge turbine in comparison to their compressor wheel. The turbines are just way too big to have for a daily driver, and it's basically overkill. You would probably have to get through 2nd gear before you made any sort of boost.
With a high boost 4 cyl, you want a decent sized turbine but a much larger compressor. That's where the term T3/t4 comes from. You use a smaller T3 turbine mated to a large T4 compressor. This gives you less lag but flows plenty of air for top end. Now, what you should do is get one of those .60/.63 T3's from the junkyard and use the bigger diesel turbo parts to make yourself a hybrid.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Nah, it would very likely be too big of a turbine for an Fe3. A straight T4 diesel turbine is too big for any 4 cylinder. You're better off going with a clipped T3 wheel and housing. Not to mention, that T4 doesnt have an internal wastegate does it?
The DOHC is not the only reason you would want a bigger turbo, but rather the target boost you want to puish efficiently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts