Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well plans are this summer to buy a fe dohc and swap out the fe sohc, and i pretty much have an idea how it is all going to go except for the wireing. I was wondering would the kia ecu and wiring harness run the mazda fe dohc?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
86Maz6 said:
I was wondering would the kia ecu and wiring harness run the mazda fe dohc?
~I'm not 100% sure, but my guess would be no.

Perhaps consider dropping a "Kia" motor in, then at least the wiring would match the input/output sensors built into the motor design. That would be half the battle.
If serious about any type of swap, you'll need technical wiring diagrams from both the donor and your car. Otherwise you risk alot of big headaches with getting it all to work.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Kia ECU most likely won't work cause you can't use the Kia intake manifold since it is setup for RWD and won't fit under the hood. You then won't be using the Kia fuel injectors and probably not the Kia throttle body or EGR sensor(if it is computer controlled on the Kia). Plus the Kia ECU is setup to run like an SUV, not like the sporty car you're looking for.

G

·
The kia ecu is severely detuned compared to what the FE-DOHC is capable of doing.

If you don't want to shell out the money for a standalone, you can get by temporarily using the BP (out of a 1st gen Protege) ecu and wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
there is also a company on ebay that sometimes puts up buyitnow for $750 fe3 (fe dohc) including wiring harness and ecu, i dont think that the engine is from a kia. ask iggypop he bought from them recently.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FlySwat said:
If you don't want to shell out the money for a standalone, you can get by temporarily using the BP (out of a 1st gen Protege) ecu and wiring harness.
Sounds like a plan, this would only be temporary so i would still have a car to get to work and school untill i could get aftermarket ECU

1 - 6 of 6 Posts