Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah those z28's are tough. I was headed up to work tonight and saw some lights runnin' up on me and i'm like "we'll see", i'm already doing 90 so i kick it up and this new z28 with ground effects noses into my field of vision and we just kept going to about 120 (i was about 5500 rpm) and i kept up with the guy for a while then i think he up-shifted and smoked my narrow ass and unfortunately i was coming up on my exit and work was beckoning otherwise i would have followed him up to san francisco or wherever just to run him outta gas. my car felt really smooth at 120 which was nice, but i tell you what... it was hard to change lanes at that speed :) and that z28 did'nt seem to have a problem. oh well...

Targeter

·
Registered
379 Posts
*patpat* Dun worry about it. The MX-6 ain't a pony car, nor was it designed to be a pony car. Apples and oranges, mein freund :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, like Apollo said, the MX6 isn't a pony car. It's a refined sports/luxury car. My buddy has a '95 T/A with a modded LT-1, and he just eases down on the gas and is up to 120 without even trying. However, it's not smooth-riding and nimble like our cars. It's a beast!

·
Registered
113 Posts
targeter said:
but i tell you what... it was hard to change lanes at that speed :) and that z28 did'nt seem to have a problem. oh well...

Targeter
You also probably don't have 245 width tires...does wonders for that high-speed lane changing feel.
Just last night,I had 5 people in my MX-6 and changing lanes at 90 mph felt really weird with that many people in the car(just kind of swayed an extra time after completing the maneuver)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yip!

The tires on the camaro are alomost twice the width ours are I'm pretty sure. I know the ones on a Trans-am and Supra are. I haven't checked so I could be wrong. Thunder18 was right though, the tires make a huge difference. That and American sports cars are made to do one thing...drag race. Most Asian imports are made to autocross. If you drop your car and put larger struts on it, that should help at high speeds if your interested. Wider tires never hurt either, but I don't know if the MX6 can handle it. Actually, Jspec would know that, so if he reads this maybe he can shed some light on it b/c frankly I'm curious now. Anyone?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Re: Yip!

aggiedj02 said:
The tires on the camaro are alomost twice the width ours are I'm pretty sure.
Unless you're using hyperbole, that's not really true. Stock Z28s can be ordered with either 235/55R16 all-season performance tires or 245/50R16 summer performance tires. If I remember correctly, stock V6 MX-6s came with 205/55R15s (don't quote me on that, though). According to the tire guides I've browsed, the 6 can take up to 225/40R17s.

That and American sports cars are made to do one thing...drag race.
That explains why Corvettes and Vipers race at the 24 Hours of Le Mans :cool:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Sorry...let me clarify...

Thanks for the info. on the tires...i didn't know that until now. When I said American cars are meant to drag, I meant that in a very broad sense. Comparing an MX6 to a Saleen or a Viper should just never happen in my mind. They are two different classes in the autocrossing world... they are two different classes period. I know there are always exceptions to the rules.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Re: Yip!

aggiedj02 said:
The tires on the camaro are alomost twice the width ours are I'm pretty sure. I know the ones on a Trans-am and Supra are. I haven't checked so I could be wrong. Thunder18 was right though, the tires make a huge difference. That and American sports cars are made to do one thing...drag race. Most Asian imports are made to autocross. If you drop your car and put larger struts on it, that should help at high speeds if your interested. Wider tires never hurt either, but I don't know if the MX6 can handle it. Actually, Jspec would know that, so if he reads this maybe he can shed some light on it b/c frankly I'm curious now. Anyone?
actually im still on stocks. i was told that my car could stuff 20s but would have problems with u-turns. someone posted in a thread the diameters of all the possible tire/wheel combinations. but that doesnt address width, does it? im gonna be jumping to 17s pretty soon, just something to ride on until i can save enough for some 18" arelli tempysts! im sure the '6 can handle wider tires to an extent.

·
Registered
379 Posts
20-inchers on a 6?? No way dude. I've checked plus size guides and the biggest any MX-6 can take is 225/45R17. Also, the unsprung weight of 20s would slow you down and degrade handling a bit, too. If memory serves, one member here had to roll his fenders to fit 225/40R18s.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
you didnt look at that thread, did you?
the total diameter of a 235/45R17 is 25.33"
the overall diameter of a 225/40 R18 is 25.09"

you do the math.

and im sure you could fit a 235/35 R20 but you wouldnt be able to do u-turns. of course that guy could have just been telling me that to sell me a 20" rim. yeah the unsprung weight would slow you down but it would look cool with the right setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts