Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some goon stripped out a plug in my cylinder head cover before I bought it and installed some kind of thread insert into the head to repair it. The problem is that the insert backed out instead of the plug! Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated. I would like to change my plugs soon.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've dealt with a helia coil for a stripped plug hole before. They had to take the top of the head off to do mine (it was a Subaru), about 4 hours of work. I'd definitely give the dealer or a mechanic you trust a call and ask about the situation.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It works and can work well... but you could always swap your head for a rebuilt one and exchange yours as core (dont mention the plug HEHE) since the shop is going to be charging you to remove the head and fix that threads... why not throw in a rebuilt head and never worry about your valvetrain for many years.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
TurboMX6 said:
the insert backed out instead of the plug! Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated
Loctite?

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
If the inster backed out it means the previous owner didnt tap the head correctly before intalling the coil. There is another type of insert available that is a solid piece rather than an expanding coil. To keep it in the head it you acually insert a tool into it and expand the top shoulder into the surrounding head. This might be the easiest way to retap without pulling the head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts