Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another post I had mentioned that I was going to change the plugs and wires this weekend -- and someone warned me to check for oil in the wells first in case of a gasket leak.

I removed the wire from each plug and peered inside with a flashlight. I didn't see any oil and everything looked pretty dry in there.

Is that enough to tell, or do I actually need to remove the plugs? It sounded like, from other posts, that if there was going to be oil that it would be pretty obvious, but I wanted to double check.

Thanks!

G

·
no u can see the oil when u remove the wires u can see oil on the wires also, it happend to me, i had to replace the valve cover gasket, and its fine now

·
Registered
37 Posts
wut do you do if there is oil???

hey. wut do you do if there is oil in the spark plug holes? is this something reallie detrimental to my car? and how much will it cost to fix? thanks

brenda

G

·
How much did it cost you guys to replace your gaskets?? I know pretty much for a fact that I have that problem. To temporarily fix the problem, I replace the plugs with new, cleanones and that lasts only about half a year. . .

·
Registered
219 Posts
I also HAD the same problem but I replased the valve cover gasket and now is fine.I know though do not go to PEPBOYS to get the gasket they wanted 35.00 for the 4cyl gasket I can wonder how much the 6 would be.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just replaced mine about a month ago. I got the front gasket for my car from the Mazda dealer for $22. It would make sense that the 4 cyl gasket would cost more because it covers all 4 spark plug wells. I don't know if it should cost that much more ($35 at pep boys) though.

[Edited by bigjeff on 04-28-2001 at 05:55 PM]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts