Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently changed my plug wires and installed all 4 perfectly(i have a 4 banger) the thing is the box had five im guessing the xtra one is for the ignition wire? if so where can i find the wire? I got no help from the chiltons, didnt even mention it. I just happened to see this on pt wondering if ne1 knew

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
4-banger MX6s came with two different engine control systems, depending on the transaxle. IIRC, the MTX got Mazda's MECS-II system while the ATX cars got Ford's EEC system. Mazda's system, like the V6, uses an ignition coil inside the distributor while the EEC system uses an external coil.

What's likely happened is that you were given the plug wire set for the EEC-equipped car; that extra wire is to connect the ignition coil to the distributor cap.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if i got what you meant it means that i have a wire because i have a 4 banger auto. so i have the ford controlled thing? Anybody else with a four banger auto who has had my prob. i looked at my distributor, what wire?

·
Registered
934 Posts
coil wire

I would be all of Scooby's money that its the coil wire. You need it. You should replace the old one.

Or maybe I should shut up because I just realized this is Second Gen forum...... (runs behind a tree to hide)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts