Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick and easy question for you all -

(i'd like to add that i searched all over here and didn't find this specific answer, only a how-to on trimming your own wires...)

what size (mm) are the stock wires?
what size does everyone else have? what brand? where did you get them? how much?

i need new ones as i just replaced the plugs and realized it's a great idea to do the wires simultaneously

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yea i saw that in the how-to thread or whatever...didnt you have to modify them?

does the high heat matter? does it need to correspond with the plug in any way? are there any sets we can buy that are made for our car that are 8+mm?

is there any advantage to getting larger wires? (obviously less resistance) but does it have performance advantages?

i guess what i'm trying to say is if im getting new wires, should i bother with larger ones or just find a stock replacement?

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Usually the thicker they are they more heat they can handle. Our engine bay is extremely and it doesnt help with the wires being right over the exhaust manifold. NGK wires are pretty cheap from the dealer and they come numbered which I've always thought is a nice point.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i got the stock mazda ngk blue wires from the dealer for 19$. they are great but they are stock size, about 7mm or so.

·
Registered
381 Posts
go with some stock wires.... dont go with cheapest ones from the local autozone tho just the second grade im trying to say. No point in spending 60+ bucks for 8mm performance wires unless ur going to upgrade ur WHOLE ignition system or whatnot b/c it wont make much difference...

·
Registered
639 Posts
i got the 8mm spiro taylor wires they are great runs a little smoother and they look nice

·
Registered
447 Posts
well, dyoel and i split the cost of the accel wireset, since it was supposed to be for a v-8 engine, all you need is an extra coil wire. the accel set was about 40-50 bucks at autozone, and after we both returned our bosch wiresets under the lifetime warranty, ($20) it only cost us a few bucks to upgrade. .

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I have the Magnecore 10mm wires. I beleive I paid $70-80 shipped.
I use to have Magnecore 8.5

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea im not lookin for anything crazy since its all stock ignition and what-not, just some replacement wires that are slightly bigger than the ngk's (i think) i have on there now

i ordered a set of the taylor spiro's from the internet, $35 shipped, we'll see how that goes

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah so i just got the wires from fedex yesterday (idiots took forever, and it didnt help the place i ordered from online didnt put my apt. # on the shipping label)

anywho, found a break in the torrential downpour yesterday to go put them on, but didnt drive it til this morning. WOW! what a difference. maybe it was really noticeable b/c i havent had new wires for like 3 years now (oops) but the car runs like 100x smoother. it idles smoother, accelerates smoother, and when u hit the brakes/clutch to slow down, the rpms dont dip and dive like they used to, it decelerates real nice.

thanks for all the advice guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts