Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I was just looking into buying new spark plugs from carparts.com and I just wanted to know what everyone uses. I know both Bosch and NGK platinum plugs are good but why ar the ngk 14.95. Is that like a pack of six? Carparts really isnt that descriptive.
Also which gives you better performance and I know they come pregapped but is that factory gap good enough for our cars?

G

·
go with ngk, doesnt matter what kind but definetly ngk, they are the factory plugs for the 6 and they work the best

·
Registered
405 Posts
i got a set of bosch platinum +4's and i think they are great. people say alot of bad things about them, but i havnt had a problem yet. (10,000 miles on them) the car seems to run smoother with them, but then again that may just be the $5 a plug talking.

·
Registered
806 Posts
All you need are the NGK V-power plugs. The platinum plugs will not make your car run any better or add any hp. I think platinum plugs may have advantages on highly modded engines or tu/sc'd engines. Save yourself the 10 bucks or so and get the V-powers. To answer your question, yes that is the price for one plug. Check http://www.importhookup.com for the latest carparts coupons. Maybe even throw in a set of new wires?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I forgot to answer your gap question. Generally they are within the manual spec range as far as gap goes, but you should always check them anyways.

·
Registered
59 Posts
platinum plugs are only for durability. Spark plugs are so cheap that you can change them regularly anyway. regular NGK ZFR5F-11 for stock 03's and ZFR6F-11's for ZE's. Platinums are twice the price but last twice as long but I don't know why you would want to keep a fouled plug in your motor twice as long?! Fresh plugs are like candy to your engine, if you're too lazy to change them regularly, then go buy a Chrysler. I think their new cars can go 150,000km before their first tune up, WTF? why would you want to do that?!

·
Registered
543 Posts
[ regular NGK ZFR5F-11 for stock 03's and ZFR6F-11's for ZE's.

I have been running the 5f-11's durring the winter to help faster warm ups and the 6f-11's durring the summer to keep things cooler durring the summer on my KLZE. Also, make sure you are running a slighly smaler gap size on the KLZE(.36-.40).

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does carparts.com sell the ngk v-power plugs? i cant seem to find them. How much are they? Also about how often should one change up there spark plugs? Thanks for your help everyone!!!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
allworldkj said:
Does carparts.com sell the ngk v-power plugs? i cant seem to find them. How much are they? Also about how often should one change up there spark plugs? Thanks for your help everyone!!!!!
pep boys is the cheapest place to buy them($1.90 a pop).
Your only suppost to change them every thirty thousad miles, but I change them every 6 months.

·
Registered
38 Posts
spark plugs

has anyone ever pulled out the cables and the little rubber insulator at the tip of the cables stayed on the spark plug.
how can i pull that little thing out.
please help

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yep, it has happened to me too. I used a long screwdriver and pinned the boot against the wall and slid it up. If you have oil puddles in there it helps to sponge it up with a rag. If you have the oil puddles you need to either tighten the front valve cover a little or replace the gasket.

G

·
Don't get the platinum unless you do some heavy racing (high rpm). They are designed to run cooler, but for street usage the plain NGK's are just fine. Also, the recommended interval of 30,000 miles to change is fine, there is no reason to keep changing them since they are designed to last for years. The manufacturer knows the limits of their plugs, heck they designed them!

Also, you should ALWAYS check the gap on them. They may be preset, but that is no guarentee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts