Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'm sorry for my bad english, but english is not my native language because I'm from The Netherlands.

I want to replace the stock rear speakers by a set of Pioneer speakers and well the http://www.pioneer-eur.com/products/car/ts-128en.htm
Can someone say something about the quality of this one?
Can someone say how I can replace them at a simple way?
I have already take out the covers but I can't get out the rear screws because the screwdriver doesn't fit between the screw and the rearwindow.
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Welcome to the club. I have to ask... I notice your MX6 is 2.0L 16v. Is it turbocharged with four wheel steering? Your English is fine so don't worry about that.

I personally do not care for the Pioneer brand. I prefer Boston Acoustics speakers but don't let that discourage you. If you can, try to demo the speakers you are interested in and compare their sound to others you might like. That is the best way. It is hard to believe but there is a vast difference between speaker brands when you sample them together. Here is the U.S. site for Boston Acoustics if you are curious:

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/

I do not know if they have a European site or not.

I just replaced my rear factory speakers with some that are 6 inch X 9 inch. It required some cutting of the rear deck. Getting the screws in and out was a pain. I used a funny screwdriver that is "S" shaped to do the job. It has a philips type end and a flat type end with no handle. I would just suggest looking around for a smaller screwdriver that might fit better.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply 2Rusty!
My MX6 isn't turbocharged and has no four wheel steering.
But what not is may come. ;)
I have this car for 2 day's now and I'm very glad and proud of it.
I know I can by Boston products in The Netherlands so I take a look at it in the next day's on my search for good speakers.
I'm glad to read that I doesn't have to take off the reardeck.
I try it again with an another screwdriver.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bought a very similiar model from pioneer, rated at the exact same power. I found them to be quite good in terms of sound quality and durabilty.

To take out the speakers, just fold down your rear seats and get under them in the trunk, then you will beable to see the screws and they should easily come off.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply.
Poorly in my car the screws of the speakers are on the upside of the deck and not on the bottomside.
I have heard that this different from car to car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I replaced my front speakers with a 5.25" component set from Boston Acoustics. I actually had to make a special aluminum plate to mount each speaker to, but it was defenetely worth it. I also changed the rear speakers with 5"x7" Bostons as well. I remember those damn screws right at the very back... I ended up having to buy a"stubby" screwdriver to remove them. But the Bostons do have a sweet sound to them in my opinion.
Nonetheless, one's opinion of sound quality can and will most likely differ from others. So, I would have to agree with 2Rusty, audition different makes and make the most censible decision -- which speaker set sounds best to you!

Later,
Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts