Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm a new member and I was just wondering what the specs are on my 97 LS ATX v6.

I'd like to know the 1/4 times, 0-60, hp at the wheels and crank, curb weight, etc...

To tell you the truth I'm not at all impressed with the performance of this car. Maybe it is due to the auto but I got spanked by a 97 Chevy Malibu last night that had over 200lbs of stuff in the trunk.

The Malibu had 155hp at 4800rpm and 180ft/lbs at 3200rpm stock. But the car had Straight pipes from the cat back and a homemade cai with k&n drop in. The car was also an auto with a curb weight of 3050lbs.

This car just walked away from me throughout the whole powerband. Had me by about 6-7 carlengths at 80mph. Does the auto really hinder the performance of these cars that much???? Cause I see you guys talking about winning against quite a few fast cars.

Rob

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
god...i hate atx...shoulda went mtx....i dont know the specs for ya but hey, i dont dont know them ok...stop breathing down my neck!! na, serioiusly though, i dont know them.

solar

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
the mtx is stock about mid 15's. The auto is a second slower. And you should have beat that malibu too. You have the same hp ratings as all mx6's it's just your tranny can't hadle the power as well. The atx mx6's have mucho problemos. I would suggest a tranny cooler to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found some specs on both cars!

SPECIFICATIONS
1997 Mazda MX-6 Sports Coupe

Base Price $ 25,000
Price As Tested $ 25,500
Engine Type V6, dual overhead cams per bank, 24 valves
Engine Size 2.5 liters, 152 cu. in.
Horsepower 164 @ 5600
Torque (lb-ft) 160 @ 4800
Transmission 5-speed manual
Wheelbase / Length 102.8 in. / 181.5 in.
Curb Weight 2800 lbs.
Pounds Per Horsepower 17
Fuel Capacity 15.5 gal.
Fuel Requirement unleaded premium
Tires P205/55VR15 Bridgestone Potenza RE92
Brakes, front/rear vented disc / solid disc
Suspension, front/rear independent struts with coil springs & stabilizer bar
Drivetrain front engine, front-wheel drive

PERFORMANCE
EPA Fuel Economy - miles per gallon
city / highway / observed 21/26/23
0 to 60 mph 8.2 sec
1/4 mile (E.T.) 16.1 sec
Coefficient of Drag (cd) 0.31

1997 CHEVROLET MALIBU
SPECIFICATIONS

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price $ 18,190
Price As Tested $ 19,126
Engine Type 3.1 Liter V6 w/SMFI*
Engine Size 191 cid/3136 cc
Horsepower 155 @ 5200
Torque (lb-ft) 185 @ 4000 RPM
Wheelbase/Width/Length 107"/69.4"/190.4"
Transmission Four-speed automatic
Curb Weight 3142 Pounds
Fuel Capacity 15 gallons
Tires (F/R) P215/60R15
Brakes (F/R) Disc (ABS)/drum (ABS)
Drive Train Front-engine/front-wheel-drive
Vehicle Type Five-passenger/four-door

PERFORMANCE

EPA Economy, miles per gallon
city/highway/average 20/29/24
0-60 MPH 9.3 seconds
1/4 Mile (E.T.) 16.6 seconds @ 83 mph

So from the looks of it Auto to auto the Malibu will win and Won't be too far behind the 5spd. And I also know that the engine in the 2000+ Malibu's have 170hp and 190ft/lbs of torque so I'm sorry to say that stock for stock the Newer one should take any american built MX6. Needless to say that the MX6 is nowhere as fast as it looks and just adds to my disappointment in the vehicle.

Rob

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
not everything is blistering fast stock. thats why you mod, have fun with it. see what you can do and what kinda #'s you can get outta it. i love it!!

solar

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Our cars are dreadfully slow for the way they look; especially poor 4 bangers MTX like mine. But i didn't exactly buy the 6 for power, more on the way it lloks, i fell in love the first time i saw it, and the fuel economy, Be realistic, if you want to kill things and have mucho horepowers, yah shoulda bought a 69 mustang, which i might add i want really bad: 69 Mustang Mach1 w/ 429 SCJ, 4 speed toploader, and one bad ass attitude. Now that'll beat the shit out of anything.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Their right it isn't the fastest on the road, but it is definetly one of the best looking and most comfortable cars!! And if you want to make it fast, just get out your wallet. But you should have gone with a MTX.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I should have went MTX but isn't hindsight always 20/20.

It is one sharp looking car though and I love the feeling of sinking into the leather seats although the suspension is kinda rough. I guess that is the price you pay for the cornering ability these cars have.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well i really don't know what is wrong with your car and how it could've lost to the Malibu, but I've raced one before, except that it was modded like the one you raced and I came out on top.. by at least 4 car lengths. If you just got it, maybe you should go check the oil, sparks, air filter and all of that other stuff that may be slowing down your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think there is anything wrong with the car. The engine runs as smooth as silk and there is no hesitation when stepping on the gas either.

There is only 1000km on my oil and my air filter is still clean.

Well I posted the numbers on both cars and if the ATX is in fact slower than the MTX than I can see why I lost. I'm guessing maybe it was the fact that Of the few mods the Malibu had that put it over the top. Plus the 6 is still bone stock.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
mtx = manual tranny
atx = automatic tranny

solar

1 - 12 of 12 Posts