Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys i got a little problem, i own a 1990 ford telstar ghia 2.2L na and i went out for a very very amature "cannonball run" a dozen of us hit the freeway but i got left behind cause my car would quickly accelerate to 180kph and just stop accelerating. when my car was stock it reached 180kph and i now have an extra 24.6kw more power over stock but it stil wont go over 180kph. do telstars have speed limiters built in???

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Well, not sure about Oz and the telstars in particular., but in the states the 626 and Probes had a speed limiter,
Non-turbo was limited to 115 mph, which just happens to be 184 kph.. so

I could easily imagine that you have hit the speed limiter..

The GT's were limited at 131 mph..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any way to overide the limiter???

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any way to overide the limiter???

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Reactions: mops_telstar

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
All N/A are due to saftey of the engine and gearbox. but it's not offical. Some turbo models did have them still attached

most N/A's it's part of the VSS - problem is cutting the VSS causes other issues with the ECU.

I know most most N/A 2.2L's don't seem to want to move after 180km/h even if it's flat and opened up.

On some models you can pull the dash out and cut one of the circuits to eleminate it. but only on some models as others it's part of the speed system.

I don't know which one because all my cars run aftermarket ECU.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think i had a bit left in the old girl as i was doing 180kph in 4th gear lol thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
418 Posts
Whys it necessary to drive at over 180km/h?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i keep running into the early model commodores and i cant keep up cause they pass me at 180...... not cool.

300KPH!!!!!!!!!!! thats impossible in a telstar

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Those kind of speeds (around 200k's mark) are quite stupidly fast on a public road in our shit boxes. Anything 20+ years old cant do that for very long before either the engine dies out on you, or the slightest unevenness in the road sends you into a wall/pole. Not to mention of course, try braking from 200k's in anything closely resembling an emergency(as in, 4 seconds notice which would be plenty at 100, is jack shit at 200) because our brakes just aren't that good. Im assuming your car is relatively standard, maybe a bit more power and King springs all round :).

This is in addition to the whole it is dangerous and illegal anyway thing, but we dont need to go over that, done enough.

Actually now that I think about it, I haven't hid those kind of speeds since the first year I started driving, even after the money dropped into the car, top speed just doesn't do it for me. I would say it is quite boring compared to the risk involved. Love carving up those great just out of Sydney roads though though, back in the hay day when the shocks were still new.

Could a FE3 really do 300? I am sure the KL with the current box couldnt, anybox really :). Im sure you would need 280-300kww+ to hit that speed.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Well I know for a Fact - a Povo GD1022 Mx-6 can hit 245km/h with minimal mods, and pull away from a EVo 8, but won't talk about that now ?

Fact is I had some Race pads in my Mx-6 stock brakes and let me say - yeah it pulled up from 180km/h but I used 450meters to do it.
Stupid is right - Why Because I can say with confidence - My car V -any of the NON -die hards on here Will SHIT ALL OVER YOUR cars conditon. It may not in looks but I'm quite positvie I can name on my hands the only owners I know who have done as much work to there cars as I have.
The rest I'm sure your going ah yeah one day.
I only just on the weekend - Regreased all my slides and am changing My handbrake cables ALL 3 of them.
Anyone done there handbrake cables lately.
Anyone change shock absorbers recently because they sagging a little. yeah I know 30,000km's and dead to me I know the KYBs still have life but it' not good enough if I'm going to drive over 150km/h on poor roads only desgined for speed limit of what 80km/h

I'm not saint And NO doing all that ain't going to save me when that drunk pulls out in front of me going through a Red light.

but why contribute to the road Toll.

IMO It's dumb at your age, sure Tumut is small place, Is it really worth it.
It's like in mornings I admit I watch TV on the way to work or Listen to Today show or something but I don't rush to work - I don't care if I'm late - it's Work - why get excited for it. I just wake up a little eariler or don't take a shave or - forget put underwear on and freeball all day.
That would make it inderesting for women LOL
but rushing in peck hour is silly, just as it is to take cars liek a telstar /626 or anything for that matter past what they are intended to be desgined for.

True yeah BMW -Mercs GT-R's - all can do stupid speeds but end of the day it only takes one mistake.

You might have the luck in being out in country - No major town traffic is low etc, but do you really think it's worth it, even 1st gen turbo mx-6/626 was only desgined to do max of 210km/h and mazda gave it a 208km/h top speed. Ford gave the telstar a 200km/h top speed. now it proberly applies more to the FE DOHC. but even so .

IMO if you want to go faster get a better car and put on the track.
Or at least use something desgined for it.

oh as for 300km/h- Even the best massive engined cars I know about 280km/h is most - I know of a 911 that hit 300km/h but even then it wasn't stock and the driver said you can't hold it much over 280km/h, on street road. He was talking about Targa Tasmania for those who are interested.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah i know its stupid and unsafe but come on we have all done it and i have a few little rules of m own to make sure i don't hurt Any else besides myself
i never speed with passengers in my car (my mates think my grandmother drives faster lol)
if i see a car i slow down
i never speed on blind corners or on bumpy roads
i never speed on a road that i don't know and never ever drive stupid in towns or city's
to make the car stable at high speeds i only buy the best quality tires (my last set cost me $240 per tire) i have brand new springs and shocks, all my bushes have been replaced with nolthane (cant remember how its spelt) items
and i have race pads and DBA slotted and drilled rotors. i know i sound like a typical young p'plater hoon but i know there is no such thing as safe speeding and really there are alot more p platers, out there doing driving acts that are considerably more dangerous and deadly to them selfs and the public, than me.lets face it none of us are angels and we are all guilty of speeding

ps there is a great road from adelong to the hume highway and every corner is long sweeping and correctly cambered, and theres long flat straights and no blind corners so you can sit on 180kph for about 8mins constantly its a great drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts