Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a Venting post about the cops and the placement of radar traps.

It peeves me of no end the way the Police Commissioner has said repeatedly on WA talk back shows that radar traps are not for revenue raising. I was driving along Wanneroo Rd. {a busy duel carriageway} on Sunday on the way back from a race meet (I was just a spectator) when I got puled over by a motor cycle cop for speeding in a 60 zone. It looked like a 70 zone to me, I know this is starting to sound like sour grapes, but I know I was speeding and I will have to accept the consequences of that, any way I was doing 80+
What I’m taking issue with is the placement of the "trap". The 2 officers were ‘hiding’ behind a bus shelter less than 200m from a 70 zone sign that was in full view from the place where it seemed like they were having a ‘ticket writing contest’. They must have netted about 4 grand easy!
When I asked him why they were so close to the change in speed limit sign.. His attitude and actual words were "I can stand were ever I like!".
I don’t now… If the Police want the public to "get on side " with them and support them with crime stopers and alike. Then they should get out from behind the bus shelters and bushes. And stop picking on the soft targets like my self and every other hard working tax paying West Aussie, that will cough up cash on command. And go after the real crims in our society.. Like drug dealers and people that watch free cable!
Do you guys get this practice in your state?
Thanks for letting me "vent".

PS: Please send Cash donations to Mr. MX6s care of MX6.com
Mr. MX6

PPS: I found this cool semi-related site .

click

·
Registered
621 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong people but I'm under the impression that if you can see the upcoming speed limit you can't be booked for exceeding the limit you're on (unless you're exceeding the upcoming limit). Does that make sense...

Ie, if you're in a 90 and there's a 100 ahead in plain view cops aren't allowed to book you doing up to 100...

Or is this just an urban myth???

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
the 'new'(ie the 100 in your example Ric) speed limit starts as soon as you pass the sign not when you can see it. if its reverse(ie from 100 to 90) same story thoug cops like that idea that people dont know......so many people get cought on this blury rules

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thats right BF, I thought it was common sense that its 100 from the point the sign says its 100....

Then again many road rules can be confusing...

Try teaching people new to Melbourne what a hook turn is!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah obviously the "letter of the law" says that the limit changes at the sign - however - I have a feeling that because of a number of lost court cases they stopped putting traps so close to signs.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not these cops ... They seem to think they will get away with it...
You could say it was a case of "Crouching Pig Hidden Camera"
Mr. MX6

·
Registered
672 Posts
See here in Victoria we dont have that sort of a problem....

Ive never seen the bacon stashed away behind trees etc...

Ok ive seen them in areas where you wouldnt expect to see them until you got close...not to the point where they are hidden from total visibility or the likes and then do the chase...

I know my mates in the force have told me that the bacon in Melbourne have a law saying that cant intentionally trap drivers, eg using misleading or disceiving signs, or even set up some sort of trap to suck a driver into getting booked...

I know they can do it, eg. Unmarked car at the light offering to run you off the tree, but thats only durring some mega huge road blitz.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mate!!!, Perth must be some kind of Police state …When I was younger I use to get puled over all the time, just because I was a young kid with a flashy looking car {I think they call it harassment don't they?}. But one time in particular I was followed/tailgated for bought 15ks (across 5 suburbs) by a pig in an unmarked ‘Ute’. Being only young {17} I began to get a bit worried so I planted it and lost them trough a set of lights and round a few corners. When they eventually caught up I was parked and on my way into my girlfriends house (BTW all this time they hadn’t identified themselves {flashing lights etc}) They turned there lights on puled up behind an empty car and let the siren go {LOOSERS}, jumped out the car ran after me. Yata- yata- yata- gave me a ticket… {Yellow sticker and speeding}
Try convincing your girlfriends dad that you are an O.K. kid after that!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts