Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i picked my car up from the shop after the new tranny/clutch install and right off the bat i noticed the speedo didn't work. Now keep in mind this is a 90 PGT tranny in my 88 6. I take a took and see the speedo is not on the fill hole held by the 10mm bolt like it should be, so i pull the cable up and look at the end of it...just a thin metal 'stick', no gear.

I look at the tranny fill hole and there is a circular metal "tube" inside the hole...is this the top of the gear? I tried putting the cable back on the hole but it seems like the 88-89s have a different fitting than the 90-92s on the tranny.

What do you guys think?

G

·
On my 88 the cable itself is not held on by a 10mm bolt, that is just the driven gear. The cable threads onto the tranny and the thin metal rod inside the cable connector goes into the back of gear.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the lower speedo cable's (88) didnt match the trannys (90) thread at all...im just wonder if that metal tube in the fill hole is the speedo gear?! or if the fill hole just looks different on 90+ trannies.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Ok Caffeine, we need to get some terminology straight. Have you checked and replaced tranny fluid before on your 88-89? I'm not sure if you understand how this works.

The thing that bolts into the transmission is not part of the cable. This piece is called the speedometer driven gear housing. The "tube" that's sticking up out of the housing is the shaft that the gear itself spins on, and thus spins the speedo cable "stick". The tube should have a small slot in it where a tab on the speedometer cable "stick" fits into. You need to rotate the center "stick" of the cable to line up this tab with the slot, and then slip it in.

Once this tab is in the slot, the threads on the spedometer cable should be able to screw onto the threads on the gear housing. It sounds to me like you have a 90-92 speedo gear and housing, but an 88-89 cable. Perhaps the "Stick" on the 88-89 cable is not the same size of the 90-92 one, or the tab on the "stick" is not the same size.

Try unbolting and pulling out the speedo gear housing and you'll see how this works. You might be able to just put the gear/housing assembly from the 88-89 in there and it will work with your existing cable.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks magic. I wasn't entirely sure about the assembly or the terminology. When I did the tranny fluid change before i didn't give any of it much thought as I pulled the gear as part of the cable. I'll take a look tomorrow when its still light out and see it everything fits, hopefully by then my driveway is no longer a skating rink. New England winters = junk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts