Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Garmin GPS and it has a speedometer in it. I was impressed to see that my speedo was virtually identical to what the GPS said. I can confirm that against distance signs on the highway, maintaining the right speed and covering exactly 5 km in exactly the right amount of time.

Then I changed my CV axles. We had a little trouble pushing the left axle in and getting the C clip to seat. An experienced mechanic helped me, he used a little force to get it to clip in. Otherwise it was an uneventful job, everything worked well after. I pulled the speedo gear to top up the fluid. No problems. Now my speedo is exactly 4% off - most of the time. As I get going faster, around 130 km/h indicated the GPS says 125 - so a little less than 4%.

I pulled the speedo gear and it looks fine. Fluid is ok etc. The same set of tires before and after the CV job - now I am running my winter tires (stock size 185/70R14) and it's behaving exactly the same as my summer tires. 4% out.

Any ideas? Could I be missing a tooth on the speedo gear? Could pushing in the CV axle have thrown something out?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'll take a look at the gear more closely. It's just strange that it was perfect - literally for years and 200 k, then all of a sudden it's off by 4%.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
tire wear can also put it off ever so slightly. nothing else can make it wrong unless you change the amount of teeth on your differential.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts