Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are our 6's spikey from the factory? I ask b/c mine exhibits virtually no spiking. In the cold the boost seems to go up a 1/2 lb as per my boost gauge but thats it nothing more. Am I lucky or are they all like this? Which brings me to my next question will this change(become spikey) once I add a boost controller?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I am not sure about spikey from the factory, but the boost controller may or may not make it start to spike. It all depends on how you install it and whicj BC you buy. Most electric boost controllers don't spike, they keep the boost constant. Some MBC's will, which is why you need to keep the vac. line as short as possible when you install it if you use an mbc. Also, the internal wastegate flap causes some of the spike for some people, it is weak and tends to get cracked. I've read on here that making the hole a little larger is the way to cure that.

G

·
The internal wastegate has a tendancy to get outflowed at higher boost levels, allowing the exhaust to back up and flow through the turbines.

You end up with a slow boost creep, rather than a quick boost spike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts