Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 89 mazda mx6 dx and my cv boots are ripped and it pops when u turn, now common sense tells me to get a new cv shaft well thats impossible seeing as how i cant get the dam spindle nut off to change it, can any1 tell me why it wont come off and how and if any1 is selling one, i bet u have to use a impact wrench but i dont have 1, my boss has 1 i can use but i cant a afford a brand new cv shaft, they run 59.99 a side at o'reillys after the core charge is payed or u give them the core, well i cant afford that at this time and i need to know how do i get them off at a juunkyard were airtools and electric tools arnt allowed, i dunno how i can get another unless some1 close to kansas city mo or in kansas has one for sale at a resonable price if so call me at 816-454-1140 or 816-590-2721, and if u can give me any tips on how to get it off at a junkyard ill give karma
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
to get the spindle nut off you need to "un-punch" the nut. If you look closely there is a grove in the nut that dips down between the notch on the spindle. This was Mazda's way of locking the nut instead of using a cotter pin. But if you get a small chizel or something resembling an icepick an put it in the notch underneath the nut and straighten the punch it should turn right off. I can't remember off the top of my head what size the nut is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i unpunched the nut and all, the nuts is 1 inch 1/4 size but it's like its welded on there, there all like that at the junkyard also
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
cMonty614 said:
But if you get a small chizel or something resembling an icepick an put it in the notch underneath the nut and straighten the punch it should turn right off. I can't remember off the top of my head what size the nut is.
BZZZZZZT Wrong!

Raising the cape is right but turning right off is unlikely. Many fine tools have been broken trying to remove the pesky hub nut. Heat from the brakes and the fact that it was previously installed at 180 to 230 ft. lbs. of torque makes this procedure extremely frustrating. My suggestion is if you don't have air tools drive to a garage and have them loosen it for you. As far as tricks to remove the nut at junkyards: often the cars are raised on rims which makes it even tougher. But if your motivated you could try using a breaker bar with a 32mm socket and an extension of found exhaust pipe for leverage. This also provides ample distance for when the tool may break. Take a friend to push on the brakes when doing this so the axle doesn't turn.

Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,067 Posts
i used a 1" drive breaker bar (giant son-of-a-gun) from my uncle's hydraulic shop and then slipped a fence post (4 feet long) on the end of it as a breaker bar. i still had to jump on the end of the fence post to break it loose. jeebus that was hard.
 
  • Like
Reactions: _MX_6_6_6_

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,821 Posts
Trent said:
i used a 1" drive breaker bar (giant son-of-a-gun) from my uncle's hydraulic shop and then slipped a fence post (4 feet long) on the end of it as a breaker bar. i still had to jump on the end of the fence post to break it loose. jeebus that was hard.
what a pain:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
max said:
BZZZZZZT Wrong!

Raising the cape is right but turning right off is unlikely. Many fine tools have been broken trying to remove the pesky hub nut. Heat from the brakes and the fact that it was previously installed at 180 to 230 ft. lbs. of torque makes this procedure extremely frustrating. My suggestion is if you don't have air tools drive to a garage and have them loosen it for you. As far as tricks to remove the nut at junkyards: often the cars are raised on rims which makes it even tougher. But if your motivated you could try using a breaker bar with a 32mm socket and an extension of found exhaust pipe for leverage. This also provides ample distance for when the tool may break. Take a friend to push on the brakes when doing this so the axle doesn't turn.

Good luck.
Trent said:
i used a 1" drive breaker bar (giant son-of-a-gun) from my uncle's hydraulic shop and then slipped a fence post (4 feet long) on the end of it as a breaker bar. i still had to jump on the end of the fence post to break it loose. jeebus that was hard.
Those both sounds like good ideas thats what id do . i guess if u have a torch u could heat it up first also
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,327 Posts
Can't afford a $60 axle? How do you put gas in your tank? No offense man, but if you can't afford a $60 axle you probably can't afford to drive the car and keep it in safe condition. What happens when you need tires? Let me guess, you drive 'em until one pops, then replace just that tire....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
magik8 said:
Can't afford a $60 axle? How do you put gas in your tank? No offense man, but if you can't afford a $60 axle you probably can't afford to drive the car and keep it in safe condition. What happens when you need tires? Let me guess, you drive 'em until one pops, then replace just that tire....
Maybe he can only afford gas but not both? I don't see what's bad about this statement. Would it be better if he said he couldn't afford a new $1400 engine? Guess not because gas eventually costs that much, right? Many people can't afford a new car for $20k, but that doesn't make sense because after awhile gas will also add up to be that much, RIGHT?!!

Well anyway... the first time I tried getting the nuts off I almost gave up, but I was able to break them loose with a 3ft long steel pole slipped over a breaker bar. I tried heating the nuts up with a blowtorch and all that, but I don't really think it helped much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Well, try heating it first, if that does not work try this. Get a 2 lb hammer, hit the axle at the end. After you're done with that, don't just try to pry it off with brute force, you have to use a "shocking" motion to get it off. Get a breaker bar, put an extention on it, such as a pipe of some sort, then lean all your weight on it, then back off, continue. It will come off, trust....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
i found that in a junkyard the best practice is to use the 1-1/4 socket, breaker bar, and a pole to get as much leverage as possible... and keeping the wheel from spinning is even easier... there is a hole in the center of the caliper... slide a screwdriver or small 1/4" ratchet into the hole and down into the center of the disc. b/c sometimes even with a friend on the brakes... itll still spin
 
  • Like
Reactions: _MX_6_6_6_

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
it seems like a waste of effort and risk of the car falling if its like the yards around here. An axle boot doesnt last that long anyway.

new axle from napa: 60.00
used axle from the yard: 23.00
yea not worth it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,327 Posts
TheBouleOfFools said:
Maybe he can only afford gas but not both? I don't see what's bad about this statement. Would it be better if he said he couldn't afford a new $1400 engine? Guess not because gas eventually costs that much, right? Many people can't afford a new car for $20k, but that doesn't make sense because after awhile gas will also add up to be that much, RIGHT?!!
This isn't about that. My point was, by driving a car that is unsafe he is endangering not only his only life but everyone else's life on the road. If you cannot afford to keep your car in a reasonably safe condition you can't afford a car and should be taking the bus. Driving a car with known bad axles is not a safe condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
who gives a fuck, if the guy wants to pull it appart he will, and if he wants to go to the junkies he will. Fuck morals and safety of other. Save yourself and let other hurt themselves if they want to. It's there problem.

Now if you are going to heat them make sure you bring water and cool them down as soon as your done heating them or else the whole heating process will be wasted. That will break the inside threads loose if done right. Without a breaker bar you won't go very far either. It the most important tool of the used car man. Well that and a 10mm socket. But that for everyone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,327 Posts
TR-mx6 said:
[fizzle] morals and safety of other. Save yourself and let other hurt themselves if they want to. It's there problem.
:tdown: It becomes more than just their problem when his broken down car falls apart and causes an accident, potentially hurting others. Driving a car on public roads is a privledge, not a right. How about looking out for someone else besides yourself for a change.

Can't afford the new axle? That's fine. The car should sit until he gets the money and the axle is repaired. Hopefully that's what is happening and I didn't need to go on this rant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Thats the change. I feel that way today. Too much taking care of others does that kind of shit. too bad. Are you going to run afer him and stop him from driving his car so that he won't pop a wheel and smack some other car? i don't think so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
i can afford a 60 dollar axle, its the problem of buying each side for 60 dollars, who the hell doesnt have 60 dollars, i got more then enough but gas aint cheap, insurance sure as hell aint cheap when ur 16, and money to eat, oh yeah and just about everything you do takes money, its 120 dollars for both sides after i pull mine off and bring it to o'reillys for the core charge. ive tryed a 6 foot leverage pipe hooked onto my breaker bar and it broke my breaker bar, ive broke countless craftsman tools and i even tryed putting a screwdriver in the hole through the caliper and needless to say it broke my screwdriver and later my other breaker bar. im going to try heating it but the junkyard i go to doesnt allow heating torches because countless people got burned there and tryed to sue and most r [ethnic stereotypes not welcome] that got away with sueing them. im gonna have to save my money and buy it new but i gotta save cash. i got over 119 right now but im low on gas i gotta buy lunch for work some how and how would i pay tax anyways. if any1 in kansas or missouri thats close to kansas city has 1 for sale hit me up cause im in dear need of one, thanks for all the help and screw u guys who just want to dis on every1 elses ideas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Need to bust a nut?

P.B. Blaster (the savior of all stubborn nuts). Try it for $4.50.
 
  • Like
Reactions: _MX_6_6_6_

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
whats p.b. blaster and what stores carry it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
any auto parts store is your best bet, maybe some hardware stores have it...but auto parts store is where i get mine. yellow-lid aerosol can, should be near the wd-40.

and correct me if im wrong, but isnt that spindle nut a 32mm? thats what ive been using to get mine off...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top