Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Advance Auto to pick up new strut lifts for my trunk that refuses to stay up and the worker there asked if I had spoiler or not. I said yes, but then said hold on because I don't believe the spoiler on my car is OEM. Apparently there are 2 different types of gas struts, one for trunks with spoiler and ones without. Now my spoiler doesn't look like any other LS ones I've seen, rather it looks very much like a 1st gen spoiler, like the one on my old '91 LX. My new LS also has the brake light mounted on the rear deck right behind the rear window; I don't know if this helps in determining or not. If anyone knows which gas strut I should get that would be a big help since both would have to be ordered in.
Thanx guys!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like you have an aftermarket spoiler. My third brake light is built into the spoiler and the only 6's I have seen with the brake light on the rear deck don't have the spoiler. Get the bigger struts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
my truck will not stay open either, wheni had my factory wing. and now it does not stay up either with the new wing i have. i need new struts too for mine. just telling you that you are not alone. if you can order the stronger ones. i have a 93 with the brake light in the back dash and i have the LED in he wing also. the price i got mine was to much when i was going to buy them.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Guys, go to Pep Boys and get the generic gas struts. just bring in one of the factory ones and measure up and find one the same size.

Mazda wanted like $180 for both or something. I paid like $18 each and they lift the trunk automatically even with my new spoiler. Check out the video in the lounge.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I believe that there 2 kinds of spoiler for the 2nd MX6. One is the regular spoiler, which has the build-in brakelight. The other kind is small one that set flat on the trunk(they called deck lid spoiler). The reason that they want to know if you have a spoiler or not, might be because one shock has heavier lift than the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts