Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i got a quote to get my jspec mirrors painted, they wanted 75 bucks, so as a temp alternative since im poor again. Any thoughts on this? I dont know if i could do a silver anywhere close to my stock color or not. How many coats would you put on.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
since the mirrors are plastic, don't know. but when i painted my wheels, i did 2 coats of primer, 3 color and 3 clear. keep in mind, they were thin even coats (except for the final coat which was kind of a medium coat)

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing with the Espec mirrors I have in my attic. My car is black and easier to match though.

You should be able to get spray paint in your paint code somewhere but I don't know how expensive it will be.

Let me look at a few websites and see what I can find.

Edit: Try these guys.

Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint Touch Up Accessories

Edit again: Their prices aren't bad I might give them a shot when I get paid next week. $19.95 for a 12oz aerosol spray can.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good find chris, i think i might hit them up to. I thought all chef's were rich? Do they have to call you chef at work? So all id have to do it sand it down, take some compressed air and clean it off real good, soak the spray paint can in warm water for 15 minutes (makes the paint come out evenly and no clumps) put maybe 2-3 coats of some type of primer on, sand it even, and put about 3 coats of spray paint on. When are you suppose to put the clear on though? And as for spray painting, when you do it you put the next coat on when the first coat gets mildly tacky correct? If i do this i want it to look good for atleast several months as i am moving and will be broke for a LONG time lol.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Good find chris, i think i might hit them up to. I thought all chef's were rich? Do they have to call you chef at work? So all id have to do it sand it down, take some compressed air and clean it off real good, soak the spray paint can in warm water for 15 minutes (makes the paint come out evenly and no clumps) put maybe 2-3 coats of some type of primer on, sand it even, and put about 3 coats of spray paint on. When are you suppose to put the clear on though? And as for spray painting, when you do it you put the next coat on when the first coat gets mildly tacky correct? If i do this i want it to look good for atleast several months as i am moving and will be broke for a LONG time lol.
Some people call me chef at work but you don't usually get that title unless you are the executive chef or the chef in charge. I make decent money but I am by no means rich.

Your steps sound pretty good. I haven't painted anything that you easily notice a nice finish on like mirrors. I would follow the manufacturer's steps for painting. They would know best about making their product look good.

Spay Paint Directions

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didnt even see that on the site, good find! I guess ill give this a shot and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Don't pull the glass, you might crack it or something. Do what I did and carefully tape it up like they do with car windows an such.

@ Chef's Apprentice :)lol:): Scuff the mirrors lightly with 400 grit sandpaper, then clean with alcohol and apply about 3 coats of paint. If you're using metallic paint, apply 3-4 coats of clear on top.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya im just taping my mirrors also, i do not want to even try to track down jspec glass.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Yeah, I looked at them more in depth last night and the only way to remove the glass would be to find a small screwdriver and unscrew some screws that are behind the glass. It would be a pain in the ass. I will just tape everything off. :shrug:

Evert- You will get a better product if you follow the instructions I linked. You need to use a real fine sandpaper on the clear coat for the best shine. Then you use rubbing compound to fill the swirl marks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i painted a new mirror when my fence blew closed while i was backing in and ripped mine off. i did take the glass out but it was a PITA and not worth it. first and sanded everything with fine paper and then a good coat of primer and then i think i let it dry for a day after that i did about 4 coats of paint (it was metalic paint) after that it looked almost a perfect match, i don't remember if i clear coated it cause i was getting my whole car repainted later that year. the easiest way to paint them would be to hang them otherwise your going to have to keep flipping them over the get the other side and leave fingerprints. the other thing you could do if you don't think you can match the stock colour, (and if it's faded it'll probably look darker) is go for a two tone look and paint them a nice black

1 - 12 of 12 Posts