Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set Dropzone Spring and having some trouble with the springs. When we where doing my buddies Protege5 springs I put my springs from my MX6 next to the Protege springs and they are the same as the MX6 and the Protege5 springs are 2inch shorter then the MX6 springs. I going to try to the spring swap. If anybody has any input, please write back...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Protege springs are much softer than stock MX6 springs.

Theres a chart somewhere but it showed PGT springs (slightly stiffer than MX6) were a lot firmer than protege springs. Proto springs were around 75-80 lb-in and PGT's were around 140.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I wouldn't put the Protege springs in due to a low spring rate and the 2 inches could turn into 3 inches installed. What trouble did you have with the Drop Zones. Springs generally last for a very very long time.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After having them on from a month or so. The back has breaken in but the front stays at stock height and its starting to piss me off. Its looks stupid.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me buddy still has his stock springs from his Protege5, what is it going to hurt to try.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well, you could tear up your cv joints, and your tires even if you get an alignment afterwards the stress on a more than 2 inch drop can hurt the cv joints.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what about these people out here with coilovers slamming there cars to the ground for better handling. Is that bad for the car with the coils. I'm not being a ass, I'm just asking. What would be a good springs or coilovers to go with for 2inch drop because these Dropzone Springs suck. Thanks...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
A car is NEVER slammed for the sake of handling.

Eibach is a good all around spring for a good price. Not what I'd use but good and very high quality.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i want something thats going to give me a good drop and good handling to, just trying to get a good set up for a cheaper price. going to more of money to rebuilding the engine.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The softer Protege springs will not improve handling especially since our cars have more weight over the front springs.
Top rated struts like the adjustable Konis will help handling a lot more plus sticky (Z rated) low profile yet wider than stock tires will help handling a bunch too.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so u are say Protege springs with better shocks could work.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what im going to start off with is see how the protege springs ride and how low it goes and work from there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I could agree with that because before my factory strut busted..i popped both of my cv axles and i noticed that my axles where kicked in sort of..overtime I had to replace both of them. later on my strut on pass went out...all the while, my brand new tires were eating on the inside. just to find out that my struts and springs were bad all along; and thats what caused all the problems from jump. Take the advice...Unless you have an endless supply of money..do it like we are telling you. Hope this helps you. I guess its true." One man's learnings, are another man's advantages."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts