Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into lowering my car, I thought I needed to buy both new springs and struts... I was looking at the Intrax springs. But some of the posts on here lead me to believe I don't need new struts. Could somebody please tell me what struts are actually for? (I'm not much of a machanic if you can tell, but I'm learning:rolleyes: ) What differences will I notice if I do get new struts also.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you're still running with your stock struts that are 12-13 yrs old now they will not have the right damping force to compensate for the increased spring rate that the new springs will give you. Basically a strut is a dampening device that controls the rebound and compression of the springs. Without these devices your car would bounce all over the place and be extremely unstable. I would definitely suggest that you get new struts when you get new springs. Most likely the springs that you get will be stiffer and possibly have a progressive spring rate and the new struts will help control them better than your stock struts. I replaced my struts which were 10 yrs old and they were completely shot. With your new springs and new struts you should notice that the car handles very well due to a lower center of gravity and the stiffer suspension setup. I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I know that you can't get them from Tirerack anymore; but I am pretty sure that there are other places that still have access to these springs.

I just finished putting H&R's on my car along with new AAS struts. I have yet to take the car off jackstands as I need to bleed the brakes yet. I plan on doing this next week after I return home from FLA since I am on vacation. Anyways; will report and take pictures for all to see.

·
Registered
512 Posts
H&R springs have been discontinued. I installed a new set of AAS struts and made a huge improvement. Was suposed to have some Ebiach's installed but my mechanic is an idiot. So, thats what I'm doing saturday.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You had new struts put in but didn't put the new springs in at the same time??? Damn, I would really be bummed. Did you get your AAS struts local or from FPN or another source?

On the h&r's; they have been discontinued for a bit now and tirerack had a bit of inventory left over on them. I figured that they are some other distributors of H&R that may also have some of these springs left for our cars in a warehouse or something. Anyways, worth a shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts