Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just put on my intrax and tokico's and they are making a funny sound. the guy told me that there was some bad bearings in the strut tower? that sounds a little hokey to me, what about you guys? he told me that it was nothing serious, so whenever i could get it replaced would be ok. the thing is that when i took it in it didnt make those creaking and popping sounds? did he mess something up and is trying to cover his ass? have any of you heard of this or experienced it? also i got a 4 wheel alignment done and that isnt right either, it tracks to the right seriously bad, and he mentioned to me something about the toe being off? any suggestions?

i plan on taking it back in, anything i can ask him or tell him so i dont sound like a moron?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I dont know about the noises but I know it takes a little while for the new springs and struts to settle. Maybe thats the noise...but then again, I haven't done any suspesion work to my car so I may be wrong. Somebody will know for sure.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I don't know about the noises, but...

Most people who can supposedly do alignments really don't have a clue what they are doing. Go to various car dealerships which aren't equipped with an alignment machine and ask them where they send their cars to get aligned, and then go there.
I had to do this because everyone in my town was a hack at alignment, then I asked my Mazda dealer, and he recommended this place that has been around for like 75 years and knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The pull to the right is due to an incomplete alignment...

As the struts and strut mounting hardware get old, the vertical center lines of each wheel are thrown off in relation to one another. Over time and mileage, in combination with recurring incomplete alignments, the vertical center line of the right side wheel will move too far ahead of or too far behind the vertical center line of the left wheel, or vice versa, which will result in a drift or pull to one side. The front wheel vertical center lines on the MX-6 are never in absolute alignment with one another. They are purposely stagered a bit. If the alignment shop doesn't know what the proper stager dimensions and tolerances are, the result can be the same with the installation of new hardware.

A complete alignment will periodically require either one or both struts to be unbolted and rotated or twisted on their vertical axis bringing the vertical center lines back into the proper offset tolerances. Did this make any damn sense to anyone?

Bottom line is that whoever did the alignment didn't do it properly. The complete alignment will cost around $100.

[Edited by Turbobink on 12-21-2000 at 01:34 PM]

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
cool

That's some great info Turboink....I always wondered why my car did that; mine ALWAYS ends up pulling to the right around 10,000 miles after an alignment. I need to get new strut mounts bad at my mileage. Maybe I'll get those Cusco adjustable pillow ball mounts from Corksport.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The creaking and popping sounds can very well be caused by the strut bearing or the mounting plate. Were these replaced when the new struts went on? If they've got lots of mileage on them you should really replace them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anarchyx34 said:
The creaking and popping sounds can very well be caused by the strut bearing or the mounting plate. Were these replaced when the new struts went on? If they've got lots of mileage on them you should really replace them.
no i didnt replace them, i have 135,000 on her. think i should replace them? this is the first i have ever heard of strut bearings and them going bad. will i need to replace them all or just the front or just one?

thanks fellas for all your help
quinn

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i fixed the popping sound, at least i think. i sprayed some wd-40 on the bearing. and it quit making the sound, i am going to guess it fixed it to. lets hope it just needed some lube. i mean after all dont we all need some lube once and awhile?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Funny. I just replaced my struts this weekend, and had the same problem on the drivers side. So I'll be buying a new bearing from mazda for $12, and taking the whole goddamn thing apart again :(.

·
Registered
41 Posts
well, i finally got my springs and struts on today! (eibachs and tokico premiums) pardon my language but it was a bitch to get the rear struts on. i had to literally rip the lining behind the rear seats off to get to the damn mounting bolts. in the process i also ripped (accidentally of course) the wires off my 2 rear speakers, which is ok because they're both shot. the rear stock struts looked like shit, the strut mounting bolts were rusted right through, the boot and the bump stops were ripped so i just took it to the nearby mechanic to have him take it apart. took me 3 days altogether and a lot of cursing and swearing. so far nothing seems to be wrong, my alignment is a little off but that was there before i put the struts on, figured i'd get the struts on before going for an alignment.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Why did you have to rip the carpet? If you take out the rear passender side pannels; then the rear seats; then the rear side carpet you can get to everything...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I took out the trunk carpet (which is attached to the rear seatback with little push on fasteners), then the rear seatbacks (60/40), then the side panels, then I removed the side molded carpet pieces in the trunk. After that everything is accessible. I admit it's a hassle but you shouldn't need to damage anything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
well, i didn't really rip anything..:)..i meant that i had to remove the trim behind the seats by breaking the trim fasteners, then i folded down the rear seats and pulled away some of the side paneling by the seats...it was such a hassle, it took me about an hour before i could actually start removing the strut mounting bolts...which was another story....i don't know if i'd ever want to do it again but i'm glad its over and done with...

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
redza said:
well, i finally got my springs and struts on today! (eibachs and tokico premiums) pardon my language but it was a bitch to get the rear struts on. i had to literally rip the lining behind the rear seats off to get to the damn mounting bolts. in the process i also ripped (accidentally of course) the wires off my 2 rear speakers, which is ok because they're both shot. the rear stock struts looked like shit, the strut mounting bolts were rusted right through, the boot and the bump stops were ripped so i just took it to the nearby mechanic to have him take it apart. took me 3 days altogether and a lot of cursing and swearing. so far nothing seems to be wrong, my alignment is a little off but that was there before i put the struts on, figured i'd get the struts on before going for an alignment.
I just went through the same exact thing. I feel your pain.

Read this:
http://probetalk.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/001830.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts