Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 MX6 ATX I4. It idles fine when i am not driving anywhere, but about 70% of the time I am driving, it sputter and acts like it is running out of gas. Some days, i have no problems, others tho... all bad.

I know to check the vacuum lines, O2 Sensors, filters, TPS (replaced) and such. I am slowly working on that, but i have heard that it could be my Tranny... is that a viable culprit? or is there one of the above that would be more of a cause than the others?

Thanks for any insight you guys can give me. I love the little car, but there are days...

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
well, there is another 6 running around my town that had the same problem.. even teh same year, also with an atx i4. His MAF went out on him...

can you start fine by giving it barely any throttle, then when you go a little under half, it stalls out?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yup, that pretty much explains it. It usually attacks at the stoplights as i go to pull out and sometimes it just does it as it shifts from one gear to the next. What is the MAF? and can i replace it myself?

thanks Jason!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay... the plot sickens. now it won't idle in park. And the O/D light is flashing. I did a little searching and i understand what this means and I hope it is just the sensor. Would that cause the idle problem as well?

I went to start it up last night and it started fine and idled fine (like always), but when i put it in gear, and gave it gas, instant death. I restarted it and now it won't idle on its own, i have to keep my foot in it to keep it going, but it sounds fine. I had codes ran on it a while back and it said TPS, which I replaced and it got no better.

I am cleaning the MAF tonight and i wanted to know what else it could be.

I can drive my Jeep while i am working on this, so i am not stranded, but gas is damn expensive and my jeep averages about 8 mpg (going downhill and with a good wind to my back...) so i do need this fixed soon. help

thanks all.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i cleaned the MAF and it made no difference. Tonight i am changing the rotors and cap, spark plugs and wires, and searching for vacuum leaks (again). Is there an easy way to do the vacuum lines? I also reset the ECU and the O/D light stayed off, so i am hoping it is just the sensor.

Any insights would be very much appreciated!

thanks,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts