Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just changed my water pump, timing belt and accessory belts and now my car sputters when its warm drives fine till temp is half way ie at norm. any thoughts? when i start it first thing its fine for a few minutes then it shakes and the idle bobs up and down from 500-1000. while driving i have less power and it stutters it will all of a sudden get power then not. i dont think its timing cause it runs fine before the temp gets up.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well, any CEL codes?
Is your IAC throttle body screw adjusted correctly?
Any vacuum leaks?
VRIS bad?
TPS needs adjusting?

All possibilities. Could even be a bad disty or alternator (doubt this because you would likely loose all power).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, any CEL codes?
Is your IAC throttle body screw adjusted correctly?
Any vacuum leaks?
VRIS bad?
TPS needs adjusting?

All possibilities. Could even be a bad disty or alternator (doubt this because you would likely loose all power).
where and what is the "IAC throttle body screw"? i am going to check the codes although i have never seen my check engine light come on before does it need to be on to check the codes? i dont think there are any vacuum leaks i checked them pretty well.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yes your CEL must be on if you have a code.

The IAC is a small screw that sits on top of the throttle body. Turn it to the right all the way. Then turn it three complete turns to the left. Start your car. See where your RPMs are at idling. If they are above say 800 turn the screw slowly to the right until idle comes down to 600-700 rms.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
changed my spark plugs and wires cause the rubber was broken and everything seems to fine now got all the power back feels good

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
That is great news. Glad you got it running smoothly again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my car is doing the same thing but i know its not the spark plugs and wire because i just replaced them a lil while ago. any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Read my ideas above and see if any of them work for your car.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hows the car running these days? I changed the plugs and adjusted the tps and it ran fine until today it ran like garbage, sputtered stalled, black smoke out the exhaust, revs would drop when you push the gas pedal and all you'd hear is "pop pop pop pop" creating black charcoal exhaust dust to gather in my muffler tip.

Anybody have an idea? It's hard to slow down too when the rpms stay at 1,500....ARGGG!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hows the car running these days? I changed the plugs and adjusted the tps and it ran fine until today it ran like garbage, sputtered stalled, black smoke out the exhaust, revs would drop when you push the gas pedal and all you'd hear is "pop pop pop pop" creating black charcoal exhaust dust to gather in my muffler tip.

Anybody have an idea? It's hard to slow down too when the rpms stay at 1,500....ARGGG!!!
That sounds like a timing problem. I know you said you don't think it is, but it's a possible coincidence that you just happened to jump timing during this secondary problem.

Either that, or something has gummed up your valves. Have you heard any ticking, other strange noises, etc.?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I hate to hijack buddy's thread here but it's good info for the both of us.

I seafoamed the car and a bit of smoke came from the motor at the back, um on idle I can hear the valves ticking. I'll get the timing looked at tomorrow morning by a mechanic, thanks for that idea.

As of now I think it may be the IAC motor, could it be clogged with crap? How hard is it to take off and clean, or can I just take the hoses off and spray brake cleaner inside?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts