Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jus like the title....when i turn on my car sometimes it sqeaks like a mofo...and its REALLY loud...but its only sometimes....and when it does all i have to do is turn the car and turn it back on and it doenst sqeak anymore

is it my belts or what? and what can i do to fix it? someone told me about some spray to spray on the belts?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I put some silicon spray on mine and it worked for a while. But what i did to fix the problem permanatly, is tighten the tentioners. You will see a pully right next to the alternater that provides tension to the alternater belt. It has a bolt sticking out the top of the braket. You need to loosen the bolt on the side of that pully then tighten it up buy tightening the bolt that sticks out the top of the braket. There is also anouther one for the belt that drives the water pump on the bottom side of the engine behind the wheel. I will try to get some pics for you later.

Reactions: HankookMX6

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes if you could get me some pics that would help me out a lot

this noise is so annoying and its not too hot when the ladies are around lol

but yea thanks a bunch...pics please....mucho karma

·
Registered
134 Posts
yeah tighten up that tensioner, thats prob it... On a side note, i have a busted up tensioner, belt squealed for a week, i finally lost my belt on 1-45 racing a 240sx. I beat him badly. It sucked, i had to make it home running off the battery. I had to get another belt, thinking that the belt is the main culprit, but its not, the tensioner does not hold its tension very long... Need a new tensioner, the squeaky squeaky is happenin again... :freak:

·
Registered
134 Posts
usually nothing else. Squeak is most likely one of your belts, either your ribs are cracked on the inside, missing, or belt is glazed. You need to also check the tension of the belts, it shouldnt have about 2 inches of play like mine...The only way to fix that is adjust the tensioner, you have two tensioners pulleys that dont serve a purpose but to keep your alt/ps belts tight. Usually there would be a bolt sticking on the top of the alt tensioner, and you twist that to add tension or relieve tension on the belt to change it. My power steering tensioner was different, the big bolt in the middle i had to hold it up against the belt, then tighten it. The only downside to our cars is the big transverse V6, it makes it very hard to change any belt on our cars. Just take a good look at the six bro. :drinkup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
sorry man my digi camera is broke right now. I dont know where the tensioners are on a i4 anyways.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeh the belt tensioners some times go bad. The bearings in them get fucked up, and they will squel and lock up everyonce ina while and u lose ur belt.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Well, pretty much forget anything you've read in this thread so far.

The I4 alternator is held to the engine block with one long bolt that passes through the mounting holes on both sides. This allows it to pivot forward and back. At the top, it is attached to a slotted L-shaped bracket which has a bolt passing through it's end. When you tighten the bolt, the alternator is pulled away from the rear of the engine block, tightening the belt. When you loosen the bolt, the opposite occurs.

Of course, the alternator is located on the passenger side of the car, right below valve cover level at the back of the engine. It has to be removed from below if you are planning to replace it. It shouldn't be hard to spot an alternator...

And what's more, you should be properly adjusting the belt deflection by measuring the span between the two pulley centers (alternator and water pump) and looking up the corresponding deflection measurement. It's in my Haynes, but it's outside and I'm too lazy to go get it. To this, you need two rulers or a ruler and something else similar. Lay the flat thing or ruler across the two pulleys, and use the ruler to depress the belt in the center of the span with reasonable force. The measurement between the straight edge and belt which has been depressed is the deflection. A loose belt will obviously deflect more than a tight one, and will have a tendancy to slip and squeal like it is.

And there you go

Reactions: SupaDupa6

·
Registered
550 Posts
I imagine you would get a grinding noise instead of squeaking like you said. It is squeaking because the rubber belt is slipping on the metal pully

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont know what your talkin bout a grindin noise...but mucho a$$ karma for malicious.....sqeaking is no more....thx much man

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
My pleasure... the V6 owners tend to forget the fact that there are two different engines in this car :angel:

Reactions: HankookMX6

·
Registered
273 Posts
To know if a pulley bearing is bad, simply remove the pulley and see if it spins freely, if not the bearing is bad.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
HankookMX6 said:
you are a I4 owner i presume then?
I certainly am

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
awesome....ok so i cant really see the whole belt and i dont know where the belt is connected because of something in the way....i wish i could take pics....but i saw the bolt on the top of the alternator and i tightened a LITTLE bit because i dont want to tighten it too much and burn the belt...i hope i tightened the correct one...

its the bolt that is facing towards the rear of the car right? not that one that is facing towards the fender?

my haynes says that it shoudl deflect about 1/4 of an inch but i cant really feel the belt because of some crossmember... i cant see the belt really...hopefully that little tightenin fixed it...ill take pics in a bit so i can make sure i know what im talkin bout so you can help me out jus a lil bit

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
HankookMX6 said:
awesome....ok so i cant really see the whole belt and i dont know where the belt is connected because of something in the way....i wish i could take pics....but i saw the bolt on the top of the alternator and i tightened a LITTLE bit because i dont want to tighten it too much and burn the belt...i hope i tightened the correct one...

its the bolt that is facing towards the rear of the car right? not that one that is facing towards the fender?

my haynes says that it shoudl deflect about 1/4 of an inch but i cant really feel the belt because of some crossmember... i cant see the belt really...hopefully that little tightenin fixed it...ill take pics in a bit so i can make sure i know what im talkin bout so you can help me out jus a lil bit
Yes, its the one facing the back of the car. The crossmember is actually the passenger side motor mount. You don't need to worry too much about how accurate your reading is... it's more of a "feel" thing. The PS and AC belt is also right beside it (on the outside), so make sure you're checking the right one. If the squealing stopped, then consider your tightening good enough... if it comes back, tighten it some more. Being a little loose or a little tight isn't gonna hurt anything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts