Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm going crazy here,

I'll describe this best as possible and hopefully one of your gear-heads will have a simple solution for me. Lately, when it's cold out and I first start the car, I've been getting a loud, high pitched squeal from the engine compartment. The squeal only happens when the engine is cold and it goes away once it has warmed up. Also, the noise only happens under acceleration in 1st or 2nd gear. If I push in the clutch the noise stops almost immediately, but often comes back once I put the car in gear. Again, it usually only happens for the first 5 or 10 minutes after starting the cold car. It's driving me crazy. Just a few stats to help you guys narrow it down.

'93 LS MTX
136,000 kms or 85,000 miles
Timing belt and water pump were replaced at 100K kms/60K miles
That's the last time any of the belts would have been adjusted or changed.

Is it a belt itself? A tensioner? A bearing? If possible I'd like some possible remedies beyond "spray WD40 on the belts". I want to get to the root of the problem. The squealing has to stop. Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Qorn

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ummm. I dont think spraying a lubricant on the belts would help them from slipping (wich is causing the squeeling)

It should be a belt. Either worn, or needs to be tightened.

Worse case, something is locking up when its cold but i seriously doubt it.

Inspect and tighten or replace your belts, no big deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
which belt could it be? How many are there?

Ok, I agree that it's likely a belt, but here's the next question. As I'm not a mechanic by any means how many belts are there in our beloved MX6's. Timing, alternator...????

My timing belt was done 2 years ago so I doubt that it is the source of the problem. Of the other belts how labour intensive is it to replace them? Is it going to be several hours of expensive $75/hour mechanic labor? Or is it a $9.99 belt requiring only half an hour to replace? Please let me know.

Qorn

·
Registered
355 Posts
Re: which belt could it be? How many are there?

qorn said:
Ok, I agree that it's likely a belt, but here's the next question. As I'm not a mechanic by any means how many belts are there in our beloved MX6's. Timing, alternator...????

My timing belt was done 2 years ago so I doubt that it is the source of the problem. Of the other belts how labour intensive is it to replace them? Is it going to be several hours of expensive $75/hour mechanic labor? Or is it a $9.99 belt requiring only half an hour to replace? Please let me know.

Qorn
The v6 has 2. One around the waterpump and power steering, and the other for the AC and alternator (IIRC).

Your timing belt has teeth wich keep the engine in time. Rule that one out. If it slipped, you would have bigger problems than a squeeling sound. Likely not run at all (personal experince i would rather not do again).

Im not a mechanic either (I try though) and the 2 belts might take about 30 mins. Not tough at all. Got some basic tools and some time? Skip the mechanic. Pick up a haynes manual.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
might not be a belt. could be a ac pump going out, or an alternator, when my water pump went out, it dripped coolant on to the belts wich made it sqeal. when my ac went out...it sqealled alot for about 5 minutes after start up...and all the time if the ac was on. eventually it froze..burned off the belt...and i had to buy a new one..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just got mine fixed from that prob two weeks ago
Exact same problem...its your alternator belt...likely loose since mine was and now makes no noise at all.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 93 mx6 ls was doing that exact same thing. I slide into a curb a week ago and my car has been in the shop and it turns out the alternator belt came off and the harmonic balancer was shot so look out for the kind of wear you have on your belt. My belt was ripped in half before it even came off because of the harmonic balancer. Hope that can help!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
replacing the belts is extremely easy on the v6.

1. jack up the front passenger side of the car, or to be safe, the whole front end and put it on jack stands.
2. remove the passenger side splash gaurd.
3. its not nessesary to remove the passenger side tire, but doing so would probally make the job a little easier.
4. loosen the tensioners, the alternator tensioner is located between the radiator hose and the left (front) head. the powersteering tensioner is located under the engine(ull see it once the splash gaurd is off) i believe both of the tensioner bolts are 10mm.
5. remove the belts
6. do steps 1-5 in reverse.

its very easy, takes less that a half hour to do both belts for someone with expirience, for someone whose never done it before it would take less than 2 hours at the most...... probally less than one.

if its too cold to work on your car, u might want to try to just tension the belt thats on the car, i put new belts on 2000 miles ago and now theyre squelling when its cold, thats what i need to do. and ya each of the 2 belts is ~$10

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Mine has done that once or twice, but only for like 30 seconds, and all my belts are fine... hasnt done it in a while, so I assume my car was just sayin hi, in its own little way :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here's how to check if it's belts before you change them. Pick up a can of belt dressing and spray it on the belt(s)....it will make them tacky and grab really good, and it works for a quick fix but it
soon degrades the belt by breaking down the rubber. So you have to change it eventually, this just buys you some time and pinpoints problem.

·
Registered
175 Posts
so...assuming a belt is worn or needs to be tightened, what would the consequence of not replacing/tightening be?

-Ashley

·
Registered
462 Posts
YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Not replacing the Alternator belt will cause the belt to break and/or continue to slip. If the alternator does not turn ,your charge light will appear on your dash. Obviously if your alternator is not turning your battery will not charge. If your battery is not charging you're gonna get about 20 minutes worth of driving. So I hope you're close to a 24 hour autozone. Belts are like 10 bucks just buy the belt get a haynes manual and get your hands dirty. It's very simple to change a belt.

"Gouki"

·
Registered
175 Posts
what if it is the timing belt rather than the alternator belt??

-Ashley

·
Registered
175 Posts
astrochimp said:
timing belts don't SLIP..they have TEETH
The mechanic at the mazda dealership said that sound was the timing belt...either it isnt, or my timing belt is in trouble...

-Ashley

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
.. is it a metallic squealing? Or a rubber skid/squeal?
It wouldn’t just be thew bearing on the tensioner pulley would it ? that can be noisy buggers.. pull off the tentioners and check the bearings..

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ash...to save time and money...go with the simple solutions first.

1. Alternator/AC Drive Belt.

2. Power Steering/Water Pump Drive Belt

Replace these first. This may run you about 20 - 30 dollars MAX. Run the car after both belts have been installed. If this fixes the problem you've just saved a boatload of money. If this does not solve the problem...then move on to the next items.

Pulleys.
Timing Belt.

It's always good to go with the easy fixes first because usually thats what it is. My charge light came on this morning on my way to work and the first thing im going to do is go to autozone or pep boys and check my belts. After that...(if thats' not the prob ) im going to check the alternator. Keepin it simple first saves money.

"Gouki"

·
Registered
175 Posts
thank you very much! I will do just that! Man, you guys on here are all so helpful! I'd be so lost without good ppl like you helping me out!

You all now have Ashley's seal of approval (TM) !

-Ashley

·
Registered
159 Posts
First off, never trust a dealership mechanic to diagnose a problem.
Come here first and get some feedback, especially if your a novice
at fixing problems. Mechanics eyes light up like f**king Xmas trees when a probe or 6 drives in because they are a PITA to fix
and some independent mechanics just won't work on them. Just get a new belt and put it on, if you don't know how go get a Haynes manual and it will walk you thru it. A decent socket set is prolly all you need. If that fixes the noise, you're set. I don't think timing belts/ chains make noise until they break, so if a mechanic tells you that, ask for an estimate, then laugh. Breakdown:

Timing belt/chain & misc. seals/parts ..............$30
Labor to install............................................ $500 (+/- $200 depending on place and if you look like a dumba$$)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts