Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled up at the lights earlier today and this guy rolls up next to me. He was slowly creeping forward, revving his engine. I sat there relaxed, patiently watching for the green light. I revved my car to about 2.5krpm and when the light showed green, the hammer was dropped.

Ist gear i revved to 5krpm and then a quick gear change, i found that i was trying to push the accerator thru the firewall! Every gear change was perfect, and at no time did that 2nd gen get in front.

In first gear we were side by side, 2nd gear i pulled to half car length, and in third he had no chance. By the time i was at 180km/h, i was a full cars length in front. At this stage he let go of the chase!

Go 1st gen's, we can take em!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Nod, I've never found a second gen to race, but, I've been trying to find one.

·
Registered
886 Posts
And with the mods listed in your sig file, it's not surprising that you beat V6 Probes.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
ive been beaten and beat 1G GTs... definately a sleeper. but you know the 2Gs look much better

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I disagree with you, my 1st gen looks a lot better than most 2nd gen's i have seen. My car is a ford telstar TX5 turbo.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
YZF-R1 said:
Yeah the second gen is a little to ricey for my tastes. THe First gen just flat out looks the best, and has one hell of a powertrain. Best combo mazda has ever had.
Well, I can't argue one's tastes (after all, everyone likes what they like) but I'm not sure I'd call the 2nd gen MX6 "ricey". Perhaps "organic", but not ricey.

The resemblance in design cues between the 2G MX6 and the 3rd-gen RX7 are unmistakable and that fact alone makes me prefer the 2G MX6 to the boxier, more conventional 1st gens whose design elements are very derivative of most late 80s Japanese designs. One exception is the wheel-well flares on the MX6-GTs; they really make that car standout IMHO.

As for the motor, well, remember it's a 12-valve, 2.2L turbo with a factory rating of just 145HP. It's got great torque and proven reliability but I think it's a stretch to say it's the best Mazda has ever made. Lest you think I think the KL V6 is the be-all-and-end-all, I find it underpowered, the cam drives are often noisy and the HLAs have spotty reliability. It's also hard to make it fast, something the 2.2L turbo motor has in it's favor (though the 12-valve head really holds it back compared to other turbos like the DSM 2.0L motor.)

Speed-wise, in a straight line, the two cars are about equal. Magazine tests show the 1Gs in the 7.5-sec and 15.8-sec range with 2Gs running very similar times.

Just my opinions...flame suit on :D

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well, as far as looks, I'm not gonna bash anyone, everyone has their own tastes. I vastly prefer the boxy look of late 80's japanese cars. They make such wonderful sleepers. The design of the 2nd gen has grown on me some, but, I have never liked the teardrop shape of it. From the back they look great to me, from the front they look great (especially with a shogun kit, wow.) but, from the side I just don't like it. However, as far as engines go... I know the first gen 2.2 turbo isn't near the best engine ever made by Mazda, but, it is pretty good. Yeah, the stock HP rating is low, but, the torque is phenomenal, and the mods are so cheap and easy! I went out and turned up the boost 3 psi without buying ANYTHING and gained at least 10-15 HP. I didn't shell out a dime :)
My favorite part of owning a first gen with bad paint is it looks like a piece of crap. People would never expect it to scoot like it does.
Surprise :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why do people even start posts like this? It's just askin for trouble.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Really, that much? I would have figured a little less, but, I'll take more.
I don't think a post like this is trouble, as long as no one takes someone elses opinion personally. I'm sure there are people who think first gens are ugly as sin, I know with my oxidized paint, mine is as ugly as it gets. Even without, there's lots better looking cars out there. As far as which is faster, well, I'm not gonna brag until I beat a second gen. If a second gen beats me, it's all good. At least it's an MX-6 beating me and not some ricer bitch out there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What attracts me to the 2.2 is its just simply bulletproof. Yeah the second gens iv driven are really smoothe motors, but im a little affraid of the reliability. I drove my 2.2 to 216,000 miles, driving the piss out of it the entire way. When i went to sell it, i did a compression test on it just for the hell of it. The numbers were low, but they were still within the acceptable limits. Its just what i like. I dont really have anything against the 2.5, i just prefer the turbo 4 powertrain in a small car like this.

When i drove the 2.5s, they were cool, but they just didnt leave that stupid ******* gear head grin on my face the way the turbo 4s iv driven did. That dumb gearhead grin is the sign of a cool car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have owned the 1st gen gt and i currently own the v6 right now. i prefer the v6 way more and in fact i raced the guy i sold the car to and beaten him. so i think the v6 is faster and in my opinion looks way better the the 1st gen

G

·
yeah Texas, someone told me 5-7hp per 1 psi jump. One of my friend's who drives a 95 Grand Am GT Coupe tells me my car looks like a cross between a Tempo and a Prelude lol. But I laugh at him when he sees my tail lights!

·
Registered
621 Posts
180K??

You're Kidding!!!

180K on Beach Rd Mentone????
BTW, went windsurfing off Mentone on Monday, v. nice.

Where were you man, I'd love to find somewhere in Melb where I'd be game enough to take my car that speed and not be freaking about the boys in blue.

·
Registered
621 Posts
180K??

You're Kidding!!!

180K on Beach Rd Mentone????
BTW, went windsurfing off Mentone on Monday, v. nice.

Where were you man, I'd love to find somewhere in Melb where I'd be game enough to take my car that speed and not be freaking about the boys in blue.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No not beach road. Burwood Hwy, Vermont South. Started at the shops and raced to sprinvale road.

How the hell could you do 180k on beach road, except if you drove the batmobile.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts