Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a stage 2 clutch kit for my 89 PGT and have had some trouble deciding which one to go with.. I have looked at . spec,exedy,ACT,zoom,and clutch master.. They are all in around the same price range , about $700 canadian. Has anyone used any of those make and were you happy with the way they perform? Also I am not sure that i wanna spend $700 on a clutch kit, does anyone know of a cheaper but still respectable manufacturer to go with? Any input would be great Thanks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
About 4-5 months ago I bought an ACT clutch from here: New ACT Clutch Kit, Z64-HDMM

It's not super aggressive, but I really like it; pedal feel is close to stock but it grips very quickly and doesn't let go. Very easy to daily drive and the increased torque rating is enough to keep me going, but low enough that I won't break the trans if somehow I get crazy with power. I do have an aluminum flywheel though, so I can't say how well it would perform with a stock flywheel. It installed perfectly and comes with everything you need.

ClutchCity has a lot of other brands too, so you should be able to find what you need for a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
southbend ofe ftw. very streetable, and holds power very well. mine has held over 300wtq and 300whp for years

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
southbend is by far the most used in our cars. and there's a good reason. :)

spec's have a horrible history with our cars also. there's been more spec clutch failures, then failure's from the ebay clutch's. lol

·
Registered
323 Posts

spec's have a horrible history with our cars also. there's been more spec clutch failures, then failure's from the ebay clutch's. lol
I'm one of them, lol

I had the spec stage 2, hated it... now i am running the southbend dxd and love it. Plus the customer support at southbend rocks :)

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
What went wrong with the Spec clutches? I was looking at getting one of their Stage 3+ clutches and a flywheel

I'm one of them, lol

I had the spec stage 2, hated it... now i am running the southbend dxd and love it. Plus the customer support at southbend rocks :)

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
i have a stage 1 southbend clutch good for 325 ft/lbs of torque sitting in my backseat.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I am selling a ACTextrem pressure plate and 6 puck racing disc with a lighten flywheel.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
What went wrong with the Spec clutches? I was looking at getting one of their Stage 3+ clutches and a flywheel
Mine didnt take too well to launching it... i finally had to replace it when the pilot bearing they sent with the kit decided to eat itself and coat the entire clutch disc in grease. The clutch was fine for doing pulls or racing from a roll, it was just horrible for launching. I was running the stage 2 with a fidanza flywheel just as a fyi...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I've got a Southbend Stage 2 TZ that i just installed last weekend. I'm breaking it in right now. The very first mile down the road it slipped a little bit (boosted like 5 psi) while i was trying to keep up with a friend. I quickly let off and drove very carefully the rest of the way.

This had me quite worried. But i talked to John from southbend, he said that the clutches come with a natural tapper when they're made. When the clutch is first installed, only the very outside of the clutch is in contact with the flywheel. As it wears in, more of the clutch come in contact with the clutch, until the entire disc is in contact. He said that the best way to break it in is to shift normally and not slip the clutch much. The reason not to slip it is that b/c there is such a small area in contact with the flywheel, it can over heat quicker. If it does it will cause the disc to warp and it will never contact the flywheel/ PP correctly.

Just thought i'd share the reasoning behind a clutch break-in. Although, I never broke in my exedy stock replacement. Instead i went out and was getting 3rd gear scratch in 10 miles. :eek: It held out on this vf8 till ~17psi, it was the tq spike that caused it to slip initially.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts