Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Stage I-V for Turbo MX6/626

12K views 71 replies 34 participants last post by  maffatato15 
#1 · (Edited)
The following are number/stages from the 1991 HKS catalog. These stages were dyno tested on a MX6 that was stock and modded for each stage. It shows what each mod will do for boost and final HP.

Stage I

K&N Airfilter
Upgraded 60mm Exhaust without cat or highflow cat
10.5 psi making 163hp

Stage II

All the above plus
Electronic or Manual Boost controller
Boost Gauges (recomended)
Upgraded Plugs/Wires (recomended)
Upgraded Clutch (recomended)
12 psi making 178hp

Stage III

All the above plus
Intercooler Pipe Uggrade
Upgraded Oil cooler (recomended)
Upgraded Ignition (MSD or like) (recomended)
12 psi making 187hp

(IC Pipes make about 9 HP!)

Stage IV

All the above plus

Programmed Fuel Computer (or chip)
EGT (Exchause Temp Guage) (recomended)
15.5 psi making 222hp

Stage V

All the above plus
Additional Injector Controller (AIC) Units
Upgraded Fuel Pump
Upgraded Fuel Pressure Regulator
Upgraded Injectors
18 psi making 237hp

These upgrades were all done using the stock turbo. Pictures of this and also a MX6 doing the Pikes Peak run can be found at my webiste at http://www.geocities.com/black88mx6/pictures/MX6/88_MX6_GT/

See less See more
#6 ·
That's really cool, Manifest! Thanks for digging up the info!

#10 ·
Yes; it is the CS rear tie bar, and yes it is flat.

If you take a look at the HP numbers; you know that our car is 145hp stock. Add the upgraded airfilter and exhause and we all know that adds just under 20hp to our car (aka Stage I). If you know where the 145 number was taken from you know that these numbers were taken at the same location.

#12 ·
PGT-TURBO said:
These numbers are all good but keep in mind these were back in the day when the engines were still pretty fresh. Itjust goes to show that our ten year old dogs when rebuilt got lots of power with the stock turbo. Can't wait to rebuild.
I wouldnt be too sure about that. I would believe my engine, for example to make even more power than stock. It's got the compression of a new engine (150psi evenly balanced across all 4), and due to the high mileage, there's a lot less friction going on. Just a thought!

#13 ·
Yeah, if you check long-term test vehicles in Automobile, Car and Driver, or Motor Trend, they all make more power after about 40K miles than when new. Less friction.

#14 ·
Those are wicked numbers, it looks like it is pretty easy for us to get quite a bit extra hp with a few mods. I am going to save the thread and see how much I can get done during the summer. I would like to get to 187 hp but budget could be a little tight for that.

#18 ·
Ive never seen this thread either.

Is this all on the stock turbo??

As for the oil cooler upgrade, do they make them for our cars or do you have to have a custom/universal one put in.

I was thinking of moving mine to the front of the car. I hear there right around the oil filter. Seems to me like its not getting much air there??

#19 ·
Umm the oil cooler is a small black round donut looking thing behind the oil filter. It is cooled by the engine coolant, not air. Good luck trying to move it to the front.

As for an aftermarket, go with a small universal air-cooled one from napa or anywhere. I think theyre around $40 for a decently sized one. The only problem is where you're going to plumb oil to and from. Possible the turbo feed line?

#20 ·
If you plumb into the turbo lines you need to do it on the oil return lines because you don't want to mess with the oil pressure going into the turbo but cooling after will have a overall effect on the engine. Helps make the turbo last a little longer. I haven't seen this thread either. Is there a online archive for the 91 issue?

#23 ·
Those numbers are bull****. Why? No one on probetalk/mx6 has gotten numbers like that with those mods. Julio and I are examples. 237 hp on the stock turbo and stock motor? Good luck.

#24 ·
Marutek said:
I never seen this ether. In the stage 1 mods how do they get the boost to 10.5psi without a boost controler? The boost controller is only added at stage II. Will an airfilter and a catback exhaust give you 10.5psi boost?
Most likely yes. Crusty is a perfect example. Them mods free up air for the turbo to operate more freely.
Jbrun64 said:
Those numbers are bull****. Why? No one on probetalk/mx6 has gotten numbers like that with those mods. Julio and I are examples. 237 hp on the stock turbo and stock motor? Good luck.
Maybe these modifications were made on a very low mileage motor, although, I would love to see the dyno sheets. Even though everyone knows, don't believe it unless you see it...in person. Just my $.02

#25 ·
i believe those numbers, it sounds about right....
maybe cause they didnt build it right, i mean come on guys it is an HKS built car with them building it is possible....HKS is not just any company there one of the top......look at my mods im hitting good times....if you build it right it will run right ....... i noticed some of you guys dout the car, i mean if you guys dout the car then sell the car.....

G
#26 ·
I always laugh when I see peoples signature say things like "14.5@2500 ft = 13.9@ Sea Level"

First off, where did you get the calculations to calculate that?

Secondly, those above calculations only apply to a Naturally Aspirated car.

Why? Because altitude varies atmospheric pressure, and in a N/A car with a negative intake manifold pressure (Vaccume) at all times changing altitudes will change the way the car runs.

On a forced induction car, you are running postive manifold pressure (boost) at almost all times. Being at higher altitudes only means the turbo has to work a little harder to get you to 16 PSI, but it still 16 PSI none the less.

Eventually though, you'll get high enough to where your turbo just won't make any more boost. David Figeraduo in Columbia is an example of this. He runs with his wastegate disconnected and only gets 12 psi.

However, he is at 9000 feet above sea level and eats almost any N/A car alive as it wheezes in the thin air.

So basicly, unless your on the top of a mountian, at decently low boost levels (16 psi or so) you will not see a bit of difference between sea level and 3500ft or so.

This was targeted at DumpedMX6's signature...Sorry for the hijack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.