Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 MX-6, 4 cylinder, automatic. Recently, when I come to a stop, the car will usually stall, unless I throw it into neutral or park, then it just has a rough idle. Also, when I accelerate, the car jerks pretty badly. I don't know too much about cars, could part of this problem be just replacing the spark plugs? That's what I've been told by one person, just looking for a second opinion. Also, if that's the case, would it be hard for a car newbie like me to do it? Never changed spark plugs before, have done other stuff, like oil changes and brake pads though.

Tyler

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Are you saying that you replaced the plugs recently or have not? It could do it, but many times an idle problem could be caused by a vacuum leak.

Pull your spark plug wires and plugs and see how they look. Are the plugs a nice grayish brown. Are the plug wires clean & dry?

Tyson

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Your lockup torque converter may be in jamed on. The solinoid the operates the lockup has failed. get it replaced or disconnect it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
i had the same problem until i bought some NGK V groove plugs and some new wires... now it runs mint.. i'd also suggest an O2 sensor and doing a vacuum leak test.. go to bradbury's site and check out a vacumn hose diagram since that may be the culprit... a bad plug will cause our cars to run like crap.. i used to have burnt master craft plugs and after installing the V grooves i felt like it gained 10 HP.. it can even peel out when i step on it... and also theyre pretty easy to replace.. just use a 5/8 head piece and a wrench and get some extenders and turn em.. they should come out easily and torque em back in to factory specs... peas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, will probably try to replace the plugs and plug wires first. As far as replacing the wires go, what all goes into doing that? Do I have to resolder anything, or do they just snap back in, or what? Hopefully the plugs will solve my problem, but maybe not. Also, where do you get those special type of plugs from? I have Pep Boys and Trak Auto around here, would they have them? Checked their websites, but didn't have much info except for 2 other types of plugs, splitfire and something else.

Tyler

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Our cars really like NGK plugs :) I'd go with NGK wires as well; they're your best all around bet. Some people like the more expensive ones but I've gotten good service out of my NGKs.

Get NGK plugs from NAPA or another good auto parts store. They're about $1.89 each. Be careful not to overtighten them in the soft aluminum head.

You can get NGK wires from the dealer.

Tyson

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
BigDog, rough running like this and an unstable idle might be pointing toward a dirty MAF sensor and/or a vacuum leak in the duct between the MAF sensor and the throttle body. This duct has those accordion-ridges and cracks can form in these, unseen without a close inspection. You might take this elbow off and look at with with a strong trouble-light to see if you can see light though any cracks.

The MAF sensor has two small sensing wires in it that can get dirty over time, reducing their sensing ability. If you're not sure about cleaning the MAF, I would recommend a shop (preferrably a trusted shop you know) clean the sensor elements with a few squirts of brake cleaner.

Plug wires and plugs can cause problems too. As well, have the distributor cap and rotor checked for excessive wear, cracks and carbon tracking. Is the car any worse in the rain?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, the car doesn't seem any worse in the rain. It seems like a lot of people have been swearing by those NGV plugs, those I might try those out for starters. I was just going to let the shop handle it, but since it's been there going on 4 days now and they haven't touched it, looks like I'm taking matters into my own hands :)

Tyler

·
Registered
78 Posts
I, and other peeps here have hd similar problems, I found out it is the IAC that was dirty. Idle Air Control. Beware that if you take it apart, you will probably need to replace the gasket in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts