Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occassionally my 93 MX-6 goes through periods where it will not idle. It just dies unless I hold my foot on the accelerator. Any ideas? After a few days, it goes back to normal. Also (this may be my imagination), it seems to happen during rainy periods.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Give us some more detailed info...

Does that happen during startup? While driving? Do you have to pump the accelerator to start your car? Does this happen intermittently or all the time?
I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to troubleshooting these sort of problems, but it just so happens that I had a similar problem happen to my wife's Maxima. I posted the symptoms on the site, and I got some really good tips from a DIY mechanic at that site. My problem happened during startup.
If you could be more detailed, maybe your problem will coincide with mine. Nonetheless, try to be as detailed as possible, because that way it helps everyone else to understand your problem a little better and consequently, to help you!

Peter

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
tjuddmazda said:
Occassionally my 93 MX-6 goes through periods where it will not idle. It just dies unless I hold my foot on the accelerator. Any ideas? After a few days, it goes back to normal. Also (this may be my imagination), it seems to happen during rainy periods.
If it's noticeably worse on rainy days, it's likely a problem on the ignition secondary side: cracked or carbon tracked distributor cap and/or rotor, missing or bad distributor cap sealing gasket or (most likely) bad plug wires.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike 94PGT said:
tjuddmazda said:
If it's noticeably worse on rainy days, it's likely a problem on the ignition secondary side: cracked or carbon tracked distributor cap and/or rotor, missing or bad distributor cap sealing gasket or (most likely) bad plug wires.

I have recently replace the plugs and wires, distributor cap and button. No change.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gaios1 said:
Give us some more detailed info...

Does that happen during startup? While driving? Do you have to pump the accelerator to start your car? Does this happen intermittently or all the time?
I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to troubleshooting these sort of problems, but it just so happens that I had a similar problem happen to my wife's Maxima. I posted the symptoms on the site, and I got some really good tips from a DIY mechanic at that site. My problem happened during startup.
If you could be more detailed, maybe your problem will coincide with mine. Nonetheless, try to be as detailed as possible, because that way it helps everyone else to understand your problem a little better and consequently, to help you!

Peter
The car starts fine and then immediately dies unless I have my foot on the accelerator. It drives fine until I come to a stop sign or am slowly turning in somewhere, then it dies. If it does manage to idle, it does so at a very low RPM. While driving on the interstate or at higher speeds, I do not notice any performance problems. It will do this for a few days and then stop for a few weeks, then happen again. It also seems to happen when it is wet weather. Also, I am always thinking how the car seems to be running better than normal right before it starts happening. (The last two statements are probably my imagination.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Once again, I had a similar problem, but with my Maxima. The explanation that I got mainly revolves around the fuel system. The theory was that as the car stands still, one of the injectors would not fully close, and thus some fuel would drip onto the engine. This caused two problems: low fuel line pressure, and also a rich fuel to air mixture in the chamber during startup. Thus, whenever I went to start the car, it would reach about 900RPM and die right after. I would restart using the accelerator at which time there would be a puff of grey smoke for about 2 sec that really stank. Pumping the gas for about 5sec after starting would stabilize the car, and everything would be normal. A DIY mechanic advised me to start off by using good fuel injector cleaner on a full tank for three consecutive trips to the gas station. If the problem doesn't resolve itself, then I'd just follow the fuel system: fuel filter, fuel pump, leaks, etc. If those don't fix it, then to follow with a fuel pressure test, or a fuel injector flush, those sort of things. The car is on its third tank of fuel with the injector cleaner right now and the problem hasn't reappeared since, so I haven't gone further yet. I also had the plugs, wires, and distributor changed last year, but that didn't solve it. Check out the http://www.probetalk.com site -- they are really big and someone is bound to have had that particular problem with their car. I would try the simple things first that I could do myself, and go through an elimination process from there.
Hope this helps some and good luck!

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts