Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i started building my vacuum forming table to build my own custom taillights. the table has cost me $15 so far and will cost me another $15 to finish. i just need to get a heating element.

I am going to make some clear headlight lenses like the other thread here. but i am attempting to design a full piece lens for the aspec headlight.

I think i might do a full housing but not sure what type of plastic to use for the housing, if anybody can help me out.

I want to make headlights and taillights. i started doing this thing but with fiberglass a long time ago didn't bother finishing though. these ones i am finishing because the car needs the lights, the car is going to be painted and full custom interior with blue fiberglass and black suede.

anyways i am going to be making a different table later on as well, a bigger one. reason for this is to make custom interior parts.

Well if someone can help me out with the type of plastic to use for the headlight housing that would be great. i am going to use lexan plexi for the lens. thinking about abs plastic for the housing then either getting it chrome plated or the chrome foil for it.

if anybody has any ideas to help me with the design of the housing then i would appreciate it. I am thinking about incorporating l.e.d in the headlights as well as angle eyes. I don't think i am going to put projectors cause i am cheap ass right now. maybe if i can find a really really cheap set before i start.

Maybe if i try to make a set without projectors, then if that works i make a set with projectors. Well any ideas would help and please if you can post pictures of your ideas photo shops and stuff like that.

Well will post pictures of progress once i get started on the process of headlights. for now i am going to practice making other things for fun.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pun intended what do you mean.

Anyways i got the table top done and framed up with top and bottom on it. now i need to seal all sides and such. I need to find a heating element to put into my table as this table will be one that is fully self contained, no using of the home oven. basically what it will be is a 2foot by 4foot top with 27inches by 24inches as a vacuum forming part and the other 21inches by 24 inches will be used to house the heating element. The frame to hold the plastic will be hinged to the middle and swing from side to side, to allow for heating and vacuuming on the same surface. I need to make some legs, but will put the on when i bring the top to my house. making it my brothers house, he has all the wood tools.

I am thinking about using a old vacuum, take it apart and install the pump on the bottom of the table top for vacuum suction. and have it altogether. heating element vacuum pump and everything all in one table. I believe this will intice me to use it more. and try more things. I am going to do a couple designs up and make a few things for my brothers wedding possibly with the table as well. Also will be using it to make various custom pieces for the car. like headlights taillights and interior pieces.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will come soon. haven't really had a chance to take them yet. i will take pictures tomorrow. if i had the cash flow i would make a set of regular clear lenses tomorrow. but don't have the flow till next week.

How much would a set of the lexan clear lenses sell for, if someone were to make and sell them? not saying i am going to but it might be a good idea to return my money from the project and help me with paying for the rest of the car.

Enough lexan to do both sides is around $30.

So would i be fair in saying that the lenses could seriously be worth at least $100 plus shipping?

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
:useless:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok still no pictures but some more thoughts from me.

I need more money to finish the table. ie. to buy the heating element for the heater side. and to buy some weather stripping for the sealing when the frame is pushed down.

I am going to make the headlight lenses with lexan because that is what is suppose to be used for making headlight lenses.
The lenses i want to make are going to be one piece for the a spec housing and corners. the way i plan on doing this is with two different pieces of lexan. I ues technically making it a two piece with one piece appeal. lol. I am going to design it so that there is one piece that goes from the side of the headlight where the corner is out and across to the same side of the corner lamp. then i will create the lens which will cover the whole front of the housings and hen it will be attached to that connector for the two housing with epoxy or something. parts of the lens will have metal chrome sticker to reflect light form the bottom of the lens like the a spec.

What do you guys think? will this work?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
another concern of mine is where the corner lenses are injected into a mold, they have a part that comes out from the mount to cover everything so it is not ugly. i am thinking that a piece of black abs cut to the shape and epoxied to the side of the lens will avoid having the corner looking ugly.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there any input on this from anybody? i guess nobody can give me any pointers or opinions on what i am talking about.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 47 Posts