Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at work, and I can't read through all the posts, or I would have searched to see if there was anothe rpost like this, sorry.
My car is dead. I climb in it, and turn the key. Every light comes on like it is supposed to, but no noise. The engine doesn't attempt to turn, nothing. It is wierd, it was doing it a while back, and then it was starting just fine. I came home from work yesterday, and was leaving again, and it wouldn't do anything. Should I automatically assume it is the starter, and replace it? THanx for any advice.

·
Registered
454 Posts
1. When you say every light comes on, I assume you mean interior and exterior lights. BUt what about the ignition lights--The lights on the guage cluster--oil, disty, airbags, etc? If these lights dont come on, then unfortunately I cant help you, because I'm having (was) the same problem, and noone could help. I think its the starter. But it could be also be wiring. I'm on my third disty, so I want to eliminate that as a problem, but it could very well be.
2. But if the cluster lights do come on, and the car wont turn like you said, then the problem is from the starter relay.
Which problem is it? 1 or 2?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the cluster lights come on too, just nothing when I turn the key. If it is the relay, can that just be replaced, or does the whole starter have to?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Speaking strictly from an RS perspective. The LS should be similar. Cant say for sure. I'm speaking as I would to a rookie. If you are not, then dont take it personal.
The relay can be replaced. All it is, is an oversized box looking fuse.
Just pop the hood, open the relay box (beside the battery). look under the box cover to locate the relay's position. And replace it (might be a little difficult to take off). I dont know how much it is. I'm guessing less than $20.
But before you check the relay, make sure all your disty wires(not just plug wires) are plugged in. Usually even if they are unplugged, the car will turn, but not start. Thats why I think that its the relay.
I wont be able to reply to your response until 30min from now, and that will be only one response.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate how simple you put that, and that was a good idea as I don't know much about cars. I will check the relay as soon as I get off. Thanx for the help!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I checked in the fuse box in the engine, and I couldn't find anything that said anything about the starter. I did notice that when you turn the key to start the car, the circuit relay (which is green in my car) just clicks. Nothing else does anything. Is it the starter?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Let's assume you have auto xmission. If you do, check this out:

Under the air intake is your transmission. On the top of the transmission there is a lever that is attached a cable, attached to your shift lever. There is also an electrical plug attached to where that lever is. This is a sensor to make sure that your car is in PARK before it allows you to turn on your car.

If that plug has worked its way loose, then the car thinks it is not in PARK and your ignition is disabled.

I discovered this the hard way after changing my fuel filter. That required taking out the air filter and messing around in that area. I knocked the plug loose and caused this situation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish it was that easy, I am sorry, I should have told you what I have. 95 mx6 manual tranny.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Alright. I'm back after 12hours. Tired as hell, but still ready to lend a hand.
Kurtz brought up a good point, but because you said its clicking, I still think its the relay(although my head is being flooded with confusing thoughts--like perhaps the relay is clicking because its sensing a faulty starter). It could also be the freakin solenoid on the starter. Lets get the relay thing out the way first of all, and if that doesnt work, then we'll move on to the starter. I checked at my local Auto store, and it was less than $4 for any relay. So you have nothing to worry about if thats the problem.
I just went and looked, and it should say on the fuse box cover: (ST cut) relay -- H 301. H 301 is the type of relay. But you need to look at your fuse box cover (underneath) to determine what the correct relay is. I'm assuming it should be the same as mine, but I always leave room for error. This should be on the uppermost left hand corner of the cover. The actual position of the relay is simply opposite that on the fuse cover. Its on the uppermost right hand corner in the fuse box. Its a green relay on mine, and its blank. The only way to determine its place and type is to look on the fuse box cover. i hope this helps. If you reply within 6hrs, I can still help. Otherwise, someone else will have to continue with the help as I wont be available after that for a good 16hrs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have you poped started it? I had the same problem with mine, it wouldn't turn over, i started buggin out, i thought the worse, starters bad. so i pop started it and everytime i would disengauge the clutch the brake light would come on, weird right? so i jacked the car up and looked underneth at the starter and noticed that the neg. terminal was comming off the starter, so i re attached it and wa-la purred like a champ, don't assume the worst...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I haven't pop started it yet, bu I will try that, also when I looked in my box, the relay that said ST Cut Relay was a blue thing with a black wire running from one hole to another. Is that what it is supposed to be? THanx for all the help, you people have been really great!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Pheonix_9 did you ever get that car started?
You wont believe the irony. I've been trying to help you with the starting problem, and 2 nights ago, the same thing happened to me. I think the clicking sound was from both the starter and relay. I know I definitely heard it from the starter area. I charged the battery all night to no avail. I went to purchase teh relay like I advised you, and the bastards didnt have it. They didnt even have or know what a relay looks like. Tried a performance shop, and still nothing. So I went back, and tried to jump start it, and still nothing. I then plugged the terminals to a different battery, and voila, ignition. I took out the old battery, and what do I find? It nearly drove me insane!:damnmad: I had noticed that while charging it, it kept hissing. Almost like it was boiling over--definitely leaking, but at a slow pace that wouldnt bother anyone. So after the car started with the second battery, I took out the original battery. The corrosion was like nothing you've ever seen. The white stuff was all over the place. I am guesing that at leat half the battery 'juice' leaked out. Some of it made its way into my transmission :damnmad: ---but it doesnt matter much, cause I'm changing the tranny this week. I should have taken pictures. It was worse than soimeone stealing your car, and leaving a note to apologize.
My guess is that the battery had leaked out all the required ions to perform its duty. Maybe it was only sending negative feeds, and thats why the starter kept clicking. My suggestion if you still havent gotten the car started is to try another battery altogether.--not jump starting.
PS: about the price of the relay. I had said under $4. Erase that! I looked at the price of a fuse in the fuse box when I came up with that, and assumed that the relay was similar.

Reactions: Shift_2Mazda
G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I figured that out when I went to the parts store, and they had no idea what I was talking about. I had the battery checked yesterday, and it checked out just fine. I am going to lift the car up this afternoon, and make sure everything is nice and tight on the starter. After that, if I don't find anything, I guess I will just change out the starter. I found one on ebay for $30, and the guy only lives about an hour from me, so he said he will give me a warranty on it, if I win the auction. Thanx for the help, and any other ideas will be appreciated, as I am not looking forward to trying to pull the starter!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is the starter. We couldn't get it to start this morning, so my friend jacked up the car, and hit the starter a couple of times, and it started right up, so I am going to change out the starter this week. Is it something you can do with a jack and stands, or do you need a lift?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You dont even need a jack its right in front of you if its the 6 cylinder i dont know about the 4 cyl. My brother had the same thing he always had a hammer in his car and just kept hitting the startere if it dint work and it did work and now he doesnt even have to hit it anymore.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i've jacked up my car and looked under it and i've seen the starter

doesnt look like a real fun place to work

a few months ago my car would click when i tried to start it but the windows and everything worked fine... ended up being a bad ground and the battery was a little low on water

btw.. its a four cylinder

·
Registered
454 Posts
You dont even need a jack its right in front of you if its the 6 cylinder
Its a 4cyl.
I've been wanting to change my starter for a while now. But after locating it, I decided to hold off on that for a while. I just dread going underneath that car, even though I have ramps.
Unlike the 4cyl, the starter on the 4 is tough to work on. You would need to jack both sides up to a considerable hight in order to have access to it. Good luck man. let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Why don’t you just strip it down and try to repair it.. you will most certainly find that the power contacts of the solenoid are worn or miss aliened .. You have nothing to loose if you cant sort it go get another .. but I bet you can.. :tup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts