Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my car and everything was peachy and then i went under the hood because i became curious as to how my spark is doing. So I pull wire 2, or at least i think it was wire 2, and the spark was weak, I couldn't even see it and then the engine died. Now I can't start it, it cranks but thats it. Can you help me please...

·
Registered
800 Posts
ah so curiousity killed the car! Did you pull the wire off at the distributor or spark plug end? You may want to replace the plugs and wires, you might hae ripped the end off the plug wire.:ewink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol good one, no the wire is still okay, like no they are not in the greatest condition but they are fair enough to work, I pulled it off at the spark plug not the disty, i was reading around, I know I should search before I post not after, and have determined it to be the disty or the timing belt. I smell fuel when I crank, the spark was pretty weak when I did try checking and well I can't check if the cams are moving because I am by myself currently....So here I sit, waiting for the tow truck and for the dealership to enjoy fixing this garbage...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes, the distributor was my next guess:muhaha:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
It's the disty... You killed the ignitor in the disty. 93 and 94's have this problem. Becuase you pulled the wire off and caused the spark to jump... zap, there goes the ignitor. You can either replace the whole disty, or do some wire splicing and hook up an after market ignition system and coil.
Sorry dude. I did the same thing with my 93. Got a replacement from Autozone for $160.00 or so. Easiest and cleanest way to go.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Don't take it to the dealer.... If you do, Bring lube!!! My guess $500.00 plus at the dealer, if they can even find the problem.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Slaved said:
I can't check if the cams are moving because I am by myself currently....So here I sit, waiting for the tow truck and for the dealership to enjoy fixing this garbage...
If the distributor rotor is spinning the cams are moving:muhaha:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
94MX6pilot audio master said:
If the distributor rotor is spinning the cams are moving:muhaha:
Hey just cuz I am a noob doesn't mean I don't know anything lol, I'd still need someone to crank the engine to see if the disty was moving...Anywho I gave it back to the private dealer I bought the car from, luckily it's still under the waranty but it sucks because now I have to arrange for a ride to work. Thanks for the help guys.. :jump: <----Thats about how I feel right now...

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Tell them to replace the Disty... It will save them time, and you time. It takes an hour at most to change the disty, and that is if you have the stock airbox in and a noob doing the work.
Do a search for ingnitor. You will find every peice of info you need and then some.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
have u tried cranking at wot? it puts the car in flood clear mode. my car died once at a light and after alot of checking and cranking i did that and it started right up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts