Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i searched throu here and did what some of yall said already so no flamers.

this has been a ongoing issue. before, every now and then it would take 3 or 4 times of me turning the key to start before the starter would start. now, when i turn the key to start it all i hear is the fuel pump thats it.

what should i do

·
short stroker
235 Posts
i've noticed this problem on my car, it comes and goes. It hasn't left me stranded, but it is a pain in the ass. Basically the car wouldn't crank (starter would not engage at all). Get familiar with the starter location and wiring. Check the manual for the B+ line and measure the voltage with a multimeter while someone attempts to start the car. You should have 8V at that terminal. If less, your wiring harness is bad (work your way backwards from there to the battery). If more than 8V, your starter is bad.
For me, my starter is only getting 5V, so I've got some wiring to look at. The connector is not the greatest, and can easily corrode. Try to clean it with a thin screwdriver on the female side and sandpaper on the male (starter) side.
Also, check all grounds for the wiring harness. Clean them with sandpaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and i have a boost controler with voltage on it and when key is on it shows 13 and when key turned to start it goes down to 11

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
and i have a boost controler with voltage on it and when key is on it shows 13 and when key turned to start it goes down to 11
That sounds alright. Generally if it dips below 9.6 volts your battery is pretty much trash. You can also look for a volt drop. Put one test lead on the battery side of the cable and then try to put the other test lead on the starter end of the cable. This actually will show you a few millivolts and if you have any corrosion within the cable itself. I doubt you have any mis-fires. But if so measure the resistence of the coil itself.

My coil isn't the greatest, i get around 10-11K of resistance on the secondary windings and the primary is about 2.5ohms. Usually primary is around .6-1.0 ohms and secondary should be anywhere from 12.3K minimum to 18K. I dont know what the specs are for our cars but most cars are around that number generally. Most honda's are at least.

You can also check for a bad spark plug wire. You should get about 4-5K of resistance per foot. So get a ruler and see if your wires are crap. These are a few simple things you can do that might help or might just show stuff you didn't know. None of it really takes that long either so have at it.

·
short stroker
235 Posts
I'm not sure if 11V is enough to start your car...mine drops to about 12V while cranking. What shape is your battery in? Start there, bring it to an auto store to test it. If they tell you it's ok, check the starter like I mentioned above.
Regarding my post, the connector I was referring to is the S terminal on the starter solenoid.
Do you have a shop manual? You have to have one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My car does that and took me 20 minutes to figure out the problem but unless the car doesn't lock in park the car wont start unless in neutral. Oh I don't know for sure but sometimes a short will do this in the steering column. My buddys ranger sometimes wouldn't cut off even if you pulled the key out which was ok cause it was a stick and he could just choke it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That sounds alright. Generally if it dips below 9.6 volts your battery is pretty much trash. You can also look for a volt drop. Put one test lead on the battery side of the cable and then try to put the other test lead on the starter end of the cable. This actually will show you a few millivolts and if you have any corrosion within the cable itself. I doubt you have any mis-fires. But if so measure the resistence of the coil itself.

My coil isn't the greatest, i get around 10-11K of resistance on the secondary windings and the primary is about 2.5ohms. Usually primary is around .6-1.0 ohms and secondary should be anywhere from 12.3K minimum to 18K. I dont know what the specs are for our cars but most cars are around that number generally. Most honda's are at least.

You can also check for a bad spark plug wire. You should get about 4-5K of resistance per foot. So get a ruler and see if your wires are crap. These are a few simple things you can do that might help or might just show stuff you didn't know. None of it really takes that long either so have at it.
the starter wont engage at all. if i push start it, it runs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure if 11V is enough to start your car...mine drops to about 12V while cranking. What shape is your battery in? Start there, bring it to an auto store to test it. If they tell you it's ok, check the starter like I mentioned above.
Regarding my post, the connector I was referring to is the S terminal on the starter solenoid.
Do you have a shop manual? You have to have one.
no i dont i wish i did

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
your starter solenoid is going bad. you need to get a new starter.

if you're stranded and can't compression start it (pushing it), then get a length of heavy rod and whack the shit out of your solenoid a few times. This will loosen things up a bit for a few cranks :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts