Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...:D

A mate has just bought a 6 that is a nonstarter.I havent seen it yet but I am going up with him next week to see if we can get it started.

The problem he told me is that it was running fine untill the battery was took off to be recharged.Reconnected the battery and the alarm comes on(the guy was sold the car without a fob for the alarm)So he has disconnected the siren. Turn the key ign lights come on but wont turn over.

So does the ing lights come on with the key if the immobilizer is duff?
Might be just a loose connection somewhere.But is there any way to disconnect the immobilizer?
Any thoughts on the matter before I go and look? Its on a L plate (uk spec)

Thanks Roy

·
Registered
702 Posts
It sounds as if the immobiliser has been wired across the starter rather than the ignition supply. Find the break in the wire and rejoin it. Usually the connections are made under the steering column shroud.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Just what I would have said..

Sounds like an aftermarket alarm, with built in imobiliser circuit...

take off the column housing, and trace the (hopefully) black/yellow stripe wire..

John

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that.Gives me something to look for when I go.

I was reading on some posts that some 6s have a chipped key.Any idea what year they started?

Roy

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
The Chipped key started around 94 - 95 I think Roy..

John

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Roy

That sounds like the problem I had, last year. The fob went to the great fob god in the sky, the company that made the imob/alarm system had gone to imob/alarm god in the sky... Leaving me scratching my n**s. The only way we could get the car restarted was to remove the imob/alarm control unit, which also took out the central locking :(

I don't want to say openly where it's located, makes the cars very easy to steal. However, I think most people on here know where to locate it. PM me if you need to, will try to remember to look each day.

Rich

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing that puzzles me :freak:....

If he was sold the car without a fob or any method of disabling the immobilizer how was he starting it before he disconnected the battery....:confused:

May be able to jump the starter just to get it back.Really wont know much untill I get a chance to go have a look.

Roy

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Roy.. My imobiliser can go into a safe mode... disconnect the battery, turn on the ignition, and reconnect the battery, with the ignition on..

possibly, yours has just reset itself...

John

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers everyone :D .....
All of these at least gives me a few options.

Also found this in the stickies.And was wondering if it has to be a mazda fob? Or maybe an aftermarket one might work.

1. Buy a remote control.
2. Sit in the drivers' seat, close the door. Keep keys out of ignition.
3. Open the drivers' door, leave it open.
4. With the key, turn the ignition ON then OFF, and remove the key. Do this a TOTAL of 3 times.
5. With the key out, push the pinswitch for the dome light, on the drivers' door sill, 3 times with 2 seconds in between each push.
6. The car should chime once.
7. Press the LOCK button on the remote 2 times. The car should chime again.
8. For each additional remote, push the LOCK button 2 times; for each remote the car should chime.
9. When finished with all remotes, wait 15 seconds, The car should chime 4 times

Roy

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
That proceedure would be for the factory fitted immobiliser..
My guess is you have an aftermarket one fitted.. finding the make and model would help source a replacement fob..

John

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went and got the 6 today.Put the battery on and did all different procedures.Nothing seemed to work.

My mate just happened to reach in and turn the key and vroom she came alive.So I dont know what we did.(doh) Tried to start her again and she fired up again.So got ready to leave and (you know what's next) won't start.

But she will push start.Just rolled about 2 foot and fired right up.

There was no imobilizer where Rich's is.At least I cant find it.(anychance of emailing me a pict of the location just incase I'm blind)lol

The alarm fitted is Laserline and it says mazda.

Tried a fob but the car won't even chime like it said it should.It may be an earlier model.

Roy

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
starter

Defective starter solenoid?

ifc

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Did you check the wires inside the column housing, and under the dash for signs of additional cuts and splices...

I would imagine the problem is with the imobiliser part of the alarm, seen as it is armed... (reason for disconnecting) when armed, the starter is disabled..

hopefully www.laserlinedirect.com may be able to supply a replacement fob.. or failing that.. remove the old alarm system completely, and fit another...

If there are no signs of wires being altered, I would lean towards a defective starter or ignition switch as Ian says..

John

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I had this exact same problem on a car years ago... It was either the starter solenoid or the actual starter motor siezing. I can't remember which. When it happened, all I would do was put the car in gear and rock it back and forth a few times. This usually freed things up enough to start the car.

Mind you, I also used to have an 83 Cavalier with a dodgy carb... occasionally when driving it a little hard, it would splutter and die. A quick tap on the centre nut holding the airfilter cover ontop of the carb with a small hammer was the solutions... Tap, Tap, Tap... Vroom. But try explaining that to a copper at 2am when he stops you and spots it lying on the passenger side floor. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
It could be a bad earth to the engine block, a bad positive supply to the Starter, a bad solenoid connection.
Put a spade connector on the end of a few feet of wire and plug it on the starter solenoid. Touch the other end to the battery positive and the starter should turn the engine over. If it does then the problem is between the solenoid and the switch (could even be the switch)

Gerry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts