Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 2.2L that died and won't start. Actually it starts and dies. It acts like the old air intake tube problem. But the tube is new and all of the related tubes are good. I checked the mass air meter, and the E2 and THA terminal test was out of limits so I replaced the mass air meter, but that did'nt faze it ($160.00 down the drain). I seem to have good fuel pressure and the cap, rotor, plugs and timing belt have less than 200 miles on them. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Run a compression test, check for spark on all the plugs. Check the fuel injectors, see if they are clogged. Also check igntion coil.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compression is good, coil tested good, I'm not sure about the injectors. The car ran fine until yesterday, then it just died when I was shifting from drive to reverse. I was just trying to test the fuel pump so I disconnected to hose from the filter and put a small piece of hose from there into a jar. I got fuel when the engine was turning over, but no fuel when the key was in the on position. This actually matches the symptoms. When I turn the key and engauge the starter, the engine starts, when I let go of the key and let it go back to run position the engine dies. Could there be a by-pass circuit for starting the engine, maybe it by-passes the fuel pump relay? In my Chilton manual, it shows a test circuit for the fuel pump. Anyone know where it is located?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Are you sure your replacement air flow meter is good? At $160 it sounds like you visited the salvage yard right?

Unplug the meter and see if the car runs. If it does, the meter's bad.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
My car had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad vacuum intake hose, or at least thats what i think it was called.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
i had a similar problem and it turned out to be the vacuum intake hose, or at least thats what i think it was called

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hose is new and I did check all of the ohms readings on the new air flow meter, and when I disconnect it it still doesn't start. It's getting frustrating.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hrrrm, maybe your ignition switch is bad?
This is a tough one, I wish I could help more.
I don't know where this bypass circuit is that you saw in the Chilton's manual.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same problem on my 1987 Honda Civic.

However it only happens once it awhile (Like every 200 starts), and then shortly after it will start up... so I do not really worry about it to much, but it is a problem that I would like to fix.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turbolink suggested you disconnect the air flow meter...WRONG! You cannot disconnect the mass air flow meter and the car start and run. If you look at the schematic, you will see that the air flow meter goes to much more than the ECU. It goes to the fuel pump shot off relay and more. Try cutting the light green wire leaving the mass air flow meter which goes to the shutoff relay. No harm will be done as I've done this trying to remedy the turbo over boost problem accompanied by alarm and engine cutout on my '91 6 GT. It could be a number of other problems, but if the fuel is shutting off with no alarm, cutting the wire to the fuel pump cut out may work. Lotsa luck......

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally figured it out (actually I didn't figure it out, Mothers did), it was a combination of 2 things. The pick-up coil in the distributor was bad which caused the spark to be great at first, but as the engine continued to turn over the spark got weaker. The only solution found was to replace the distributor. The coil also tested weak. The car would run good at low RPM but run poorly above 3000.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts